Little electrical job for in-laws today

Philip d

We were there awhile ago and my father in law asked me to see if I could figure out why the compressor wouldnt run. It had too small of wire fed through too small of a switch and kept overtime burning out the light switch that controlled it. Non electrical terms we ran heavier wire and a more suited shut off and rewired the control. For the electricians on here heres the rest of the story lol.

Its a 5hp motor with 25A FLA so we rewired most of the compressor circuit. I removed the 12/2 from sharing a 40A breaker with a feed for a separate building which fed a double pole 15A switch that fed L1&L2 at the motor starter then T1&T2 fed 14/2 BX that supplied L1&L2 at the motor. Theres #8 feeding the separate building but we refed it with a double pole 30A breaker as theres only a few outlets and lights in there. We ran #10 from the 40A breaker to a 50A HVAC style disconnect, then from there to the starter and also replaced the 14/2 BX with #10 to the motor. We rerouted the #12 that originally ran to the starter to a 4x4 JB , wirenutted one line together and fed the other through a 15A push button breaker. We used that circuit as a switch loop to break the control circuit fed through the pressure switch and a single pole switch by the door so he can still switch it off when hes not using it. Took a couple hours but its a way better arrangement.
cvphoto96756.jpg

NICE lookin job, Motor control branch circuits, starters, thermal and overload protection, and safety was one of my favorite jobs when I was a designer ...My very first job out of EE school was with The Century Electric Motor Company where I cut my teeth lol

You did good

John T

da.bees
I used to do the all wiring on my rental homes. Most got new electrical service and entire house rewired.
Now I have a go to union electrician.
He has a neat trick unrolling romax without getting it all twisted.
As he unrolls the wire he steps on it to keep it nice and straight.
He makes the inside of a load center look like a work of art compared to my work.
And what would take me 2 days, he does it in 2 hours. Replaced a 200 amp load center in 2 hours.

(quoted from post at 10:46:33 08/09/21) Did they not tell you in school a 10 awg wire goes on a 30 amp breaker not a 40 ?

Did they not tell you in school there is thermal protection and there is short circuit protection.
This topic is where somebody invariably jumps up and screams that a 10 AWG conductor can not be supplied with a 40 or 50 amp breaker on a motor load.
Doesn't matter how many times it is explained to them either, they don't get it.

Section 28 CEC motors can have up to 300% fla on a non-
char breaker provided theres overloads to allow for motor
startup, number 10 wire is rated for 30A at 75 degrees and 40
at 90 degree wire I dont see where I messed up so bad?
cvphoto97014.jpg

cvphoto97015.jpg

cvphoto97016.jpg

Actually its 250% and 35A at 75 degree insulation,the fla of this motor is 25A that times 125% is 31.25A still below the 75 degree rating of 35A. 25 A times 250% is 62.5 A ,well above 40A ,still pretty sure Im ok

Go screw off your not even in the same code book NOWHERE In the NEC is 10 allowed on a 40 amp.Nowhere Or cite the article ?

(quoted from post at 23:03:30 08/09/21) Go screw off your not even in the same code book NOWHERE In the NEC is 10 allowed on a 40 amp.Nowhere Or cite the article ?

Are you unable to read AND understand the code book info that philipD posted ?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back