Loader for Ford 3600

Hello All! Looking for some advice on obtaining a Loader for my 72 Ford 3600. I would like any input or tips for looking for loaders that would fit my 72 Ford 3600 diesel. not planning on doing anything to crazy with it just work around the farm. I think the heaviest thing I will ever use it for would be for moving round bails or picking up logs. I know there is a difference between industrial tractors and standard tractors and the front axels cannot support to much weight but I dont know what that limit would be. I am not picky on brands and if I end up caring about looks I can always order some blue paint! Looking online there are alot of allis chambers with loaders or loaders off of allis chambers and olivers in my area but not sure if they would work or not. There are plenty of Fab shops around me and my neighbor would be willing to help me put the loader on with his fork lift. So making mounting brackets or doing custom work will be pricey but Im willing to do that. Some googling pointed me to a westendorf wl-21 but I am not seeing how I would order one. Any input or recommendations would be appreciated!

I have also found a website that says the DUNHAM LEHR 22 will fit a Ford 3600 but I'm not sure if it is for industrial tractors or not? Thats my biggest concern is figuring out how it would mount and what all is needed to attach it.

The only 100% for sure way to find a loader to fit your 3600 with no hassles is if you remove the loader from another 3600. That includes the Westendorf WL-21, the Brush Hog 4200 QT and the Dunham Lehr 22. These are all fairly modern loaders so it's likely that the manufacturers made specific mounting brackets that bolt on to the Ford 3600 and other tractors of the same design (i.e. the 2600? and/or 3610? maybe? I don't know how much Ford changed their tractors from series to series.) They also made brackets for dozens of other tractor models, so getting the loader with the right brackets is like finding a needle in a haystack. Finding a specific model of loader that isn't on a tractor and for sale is like finding a needle in a haystack, so really finding the loader with the right brackets is like finding a needle in a haystack of haystacks.

Making a loader fit involves "mocking up" the loader by hanging it over the tractor, then building from the mounting points on the tractor's chassis out to the mounting points on the loader's frame. Just piecing it together. Best to start with a loader that came off of a tractor that's similar in size to the tractor that you want to put it on. I would avoid older loaders made from pipe unless you're desperate, especially the ones that look like a jungle gym.

Dunham Lehr/Farmhand 22 is probably as close to a "universal" mount loader as you will get but they mount entirely to the front frame of the tractor so it may not be the best choice for a Ford 3600 that has no frame rails.

Any of those loaders would work but they require mounting brackets that fit your tractor, and that can be the issue
I don’t know much about the others but do own some Dunham Lehr/Farmhand 22 loaders, the same loader will fit all of the 3 and 4 cylinder Fords with the proper brackets, they will also fit many other brands with the correct brackets
The down side for these older loaders is no one makes mounting brackets for them today
I have brackets for my 4000 and 5000
I recently purchased one with 3000/3600 brackets, we plan to mount it on my brothers 3400

The only 100% for sure way to find a loader to fit your 3600 with no hassles is if you remove the loader from another 3600. That includes the Westendorf WL-21, the Brush Hog 4200 QT and the Dunham Lehr 22. These are all fairly modern loaders so it's likely that the manufacturers made specific mounting brackets that bolt on to the Ford 3600 and other tractors of the same design (i.e. the 2600? and/or 3610? maybe? I don't know how much Ford changed their tractors from series to series.) They also made brackets for dozens of other tractor models, so getting the loader with the right brackets is like finding a needle in a haystack. Finding a specific model of loader that isn't on a tractor and for sale is like finding a needle in a haystack, so really finding the loader with the right brackets is like finding a needle in a haystack of haystacks.

Making a loader fit involves "mocking up" the loader by hanging it over the tractor, then building from the mounting points on the tractor's chassis out to the mounting points on the loader's frame. Just piecing it together. Best to start with a loader that came off of a tractor that's similar in size to the tractor that you want to put it on. I would avoid older loaders made from pipe unless you're desperate, especially the ones that look like a jungle gym.

Dunham Lehr/Farmhand 22 is probably as close to a "universal" mount loader as you will get but they mount entirely to the front frame of the tractor so it may not be the best choice for a Ford 3600 that has no frame rails.

The bracket for the Ford 3 cylinder models with sweep back front axle is a subframe that bolts to the front bolster and the side mount bolt holes in the front of the transmission

I did some additional digging and found others that suggested calling around salvage yards. Luckily I found a working 3600 with a loader on it in downstate Michigan for 350 dollars. Its a freeman loader and I have no idea what it looks like or the model. The shop says it is all working but they want a day or 2 notice in advanced so they have time to take it off the tractor for me rather than me showing up and then them taking it off. If it is already coming off of a 3600 like you guys said it should fit then. Any tips or recommendations on what to look for on the loader? Cracks and bends are obvious signs but im not familiar with hydraulics or how to hook up. I am hoping they can give me a crash course when I pick it up. I have yet to see a loader go for that cheap so I am worried its just going to be some tubes with a tiny bucket in the front. The heaviest thing I want to do is move round bales and logs. on the 3600 is that feasible or are there other attachments I should be looking into for heavy stuff like that?

Freeman loaders were popular back in their day, but they were full frame loaders that bolted the the front bolster and rear axle, so removing the loader is not a simple task like on quick attach models
Many of those loaders were trip bucket style meaning they did not have hydraulic tilt, nor did they have down pressure on the lift cylinders
Ask for photos and if it has hydraulic tilt

3600 is ok for small logs and round bales not over 5x4 in size, providing the rear tires are loaded and additional weight is on the 3 point lift
The sweep back front axle is not a loader friendly design, heavy loads and large round bales easily make the rear axle light, enough heavy loads will cause the radius rods to bend over time
If you plan to move good sized logs and 5x5 or bigger bales I recommend you consider stepping up to a 4600 or newer with the heavier front axle

I had a mid '60's Ford 4000 with a loader and it was the loader I wanted for any Ford tractor I had. I have a 3600 and would never consider a loader for it....two reasons: Front end is light, including tire sizes....narrow width in particular and tall sidewalls....aspect ratio, and the second reason is that loaders that fit that tractor pretty much keep you from getting to your engine for servicing and all. Today's tractors have front tires and assemblies to support loader operations (fat tires with short sidewalls) and the mid section of the frame is beefed up to support the loader so that when it is raised, there is nothing in your way when you want to get to the engine for some reason.

There is an old construction shop down the road with dozens of different industrial tractors and backhoes that look like they havnt moved since early 2000's if not older. Now that I have a properly working tractor and the probability of getting a loader I might be able to get a new project tractor that can handle the heavier loads. Would I be able to with some fabricators help add downward pressure to a loader and any recommendations for adding weight to the 3point? as a blacksmith I also have a couple tons of steel laying around and could easily make a box full of heavy steel.

I wont be able to pickup the loader until they are back from flordia at the end of February. so I have time to do some research until then but I wont be able to get any pictures of the loader because they arnt at their salvage yard.

I did some additional digging and found others that suggested calling around salvage yards. Luckily I found a working 3600 with a loader on it in downstate Michigan for 350 dollars. Its a freeman loader and I have no idea what it looks like or the model. The shop says it is all working but they want a day or 2 notice in advanced so they have time to take it off the tractor for me rather than me showing up and then them taking it off. If it is already coming off of a 3600 like you guys said it should fit then. Any tips or recommendations on what to look for on the loader? Cracks and bends are obvious signs but im not familiar with hydraulics or how to hook up. I am hoping they can give me a crash course when I pick it up. I have yet to see a loader go for that cheap so I am worried its just going to be some tubes with a tiny bucket in the front. The heaviest thing I want to do is move round bales and logs. on the 3600 is that feasible or are there other attachments I should be looking into for heavy stuff like that?
Round bales and especially logs can be VERY heavy. You can easily get a log that weighs well over 2000lbs so you'd have to be careful. There is ample information online for determining the weight of a log and after you get a basic idea you can estimate the weight in your head to make sure you're not trying to lift too much.

Freeman made a few different models of loaders. The 2000 is a basic single-acting loader with a trip bucket. The 3000 model adds a single hydraulic cylinder for bucket dump. The 4000 has two bucket cylinders. We had a 2000 on our M when I was very young. Dad made do with it and did a lot of work. You can install a fixed bale spear and use it to move round bales.

These loaders are also made of steel so if you get a 2000 you can always add hydraulic cylinders for bucket tilt. You would need to replace the boom cylinders to get down pressure, but you probably won't be able to find an exact match for cylinders. Everybody says "Surplus Center Surplus Center" but clearly they haven't looked recently because their selection of "oddball cylinders that might match up on your loader" has really dwindled over the years. The oddball cylinders they have are REAL oddballs, and 99% of what they do have are standard cylinders.

There is an old construction shop down the road with dozens of different industrial tractors and backhoes that look like they havnt moved since early 2000's if not older. Now that I have a properly working tractor and the probability of getting a loader I might be able to get a new project tractor that can handle the heavier loads. Would I be able to with some fabricators help add downward pressure to a loader and any recommendations for adding weight to the 3point? as a blacksmith I also have a couple tons of steel laying around and could easily make a box full of heavy steel.
Some build the box and fill it with dirt....if that's all they have. I thing Geo-Ind. showed us a picture of one he built out of concrete. I don't recall it being encased but probably was....you needed a form and something sturdy in which you mounted the lift pins.

I have purchased the loader. It is a freeman 601. The gentlemen lied to me and it didn't come off of a Ford 3600 instead came off another tractor that looked like a larger Ford 8n. Unfortunately I was in a rush and was only able to ask some basic questions about the loader. All the pieces looked there and for 300 dollars if I can't get it working I'll sell it to someone who's tractor it fits. So now to my dumb question. How do I install it? It looks like the braces attach under the rear axle only. I don't see anything that allows attaching to the side of the tractor. I also have no idea about the hydraulics. This did not come with a remote control system and has 2 stubby hoses coming out the back on both sides of the arms. I will be uploading some pictures and digging though my Ford manual to see what I'm missing to get this working. any pointers would be appreciated.

There’s a bracket that bolts the the front bolster to support the front of the loader frame
Hope you got it
I have what looks to be the bottom brace bar and a small bumper bar. I can tell it's where the frame pieces need to connect to. But the frame is about 2ft to short for my tractor.

Pictures of the loader

Attachments

• PXL_20240310_201502198.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201502198.MP.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 36
  • PXL_20240310_201441798.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201441798.MP.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240310_201449381.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201449381.MP.jpg
    6.4 MB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240310_201519548.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201519548.MP.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 43
More pictures

Attachments

• PXL_20240310_201548790.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201548790.MP.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20240310_201554197.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201554197.MP.jpg
    6.1 MB · Views: 48
  • PXL_20240310_201402133.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201402133.MP.jpg
    5.9 MB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240310_201408089.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240310_201408089.MP.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 31

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back