Locked rear wheel on Case 730

Hey everybody, I am the new proud owner of a 730 comfort king with a Allied front end loader. I resurrected this tractor back from the dead and so far I have loved it! However, yesterday I was plowing snow for about an hour with no issue, today I went and started her up to plow some snow, and the right rear wheel is locked up and the left just spins in place. I had no problems yesterday and no strange noises, clunks, etc. so I find this very strange that after sitting overnight, the wheel is locked. I have seen a few things with gears in the axles busting to cause this, but I guess I am looking for any thoughts or suggestions to get me started.

Any help would be appreciated!

Also, any suggestions on a good shop manual for this tractor?

Only spend money on the FACTORY manual, anything else is frustration and a waste. It took a couple of years of swap meet picking, writing/calling literature dealers to find mine. In the meantime I would buy this. I've one of theirs for my 1070 and it's a excellent copy of the complete factory manual. I've enclosed an ebay listing, where I bought my copy for my 1070. The publishers website is:
www.external_link.com
730 Factory Shop Manual Reprint Copy

what happens when you try reverse and forward ,, seems to me the brake has lokt up and probably nuthin more .. damp cold weather seems to cause this problem on a 430 and 530 I have ,.. if the pedal has little travel you mite take a 13/16 socket on a extension and loosen the nut serveral turns ,,. another thing you may have to loosen the bolts that hold the brake shoes to allow movement ,,. there is somthing out of adjustment needing cleaning or a spring misaligned to cause this trouble . if I have semblanceof brakes . around here I am forced to run em , until I have extra time for a luxury such as brakes .. lol

Sounds like you have a brake that has stuck. This is somewhat of a common problem with older tractors. When it happens to me, I go forward a little, then reverse, and then forward. They usually come free. Do this using common sense, you don't need to do this with the motor wide open and wreck something. If this does not free it up, you may need to remove the brake drum(cover) and see what the problem is. Not hard at all to remove drum.

Love this forum already thanks for the quick replies!

I attempted the forward and reverse movement, even pushed rearward with the loader, thinking that maybe something was froze but the left wheel would just spin, and the right wheel remained locked tight. I also worked the brake pedal trying to free anything up but that seemed normal. It would make the most sense that something froze overnight, since it was functioning properly when I parked it....ill dig into the brake assembly first and see what I can find!

I'll definitely be looking into a factory manual, thanks for the advice...I have had good luck with clymer manuals in the past for other things, but it's hard to beat a factory manual.

Just an aside, the 730CK is a different tractor than the earlier 730s, thus a different manual. You will usually find the 730/830/930CKs in one manual, don't be turned off by that, they are very similar, and that's the way the factory book is put together.

seen it before,, sometimes a bad rubber boot on the actuating rod lets moisture in creating this, I have loosen the bolts on the cover before and got them loose, no chain drive in any 730/830 tractors, only the 6 speed 930 had chains in the 30 series, also seen them sticky from debris from brake dust ect, pretty easy to work on, clean up inside parts, check spring and ramp balls over replace as needed
cnt

Is this your first freezing weather? I have seen the brakes plumb full of moist dirt more than once, an I&T will give you the basics though not nearly as detailed as a Case manual but would be cheaper and faster to get and will get you by for the time being then look for an original manual

One more question about the manuals, would a "parts manual" be the same as a "service manual"? I'm wondering if they use these terms interchangeably or if one is better than the other.

Could there be a chance that the final drive may have a little water in it from condensation, and froze? If the tractor was sitting on a slant towards the side that is locked up, it may have frozen the bull gear in place on that side. Just a thought. I had something similar happen to a tractor in the past.

Just an update....

Covered the 730 with a tarp and heated it up good with a propane heater, real wheel loosened up! Ran good with no problems. Let it sit for a couple more days and yet again, right wheel locked up. This time I heated up the right brake housing and wheel loosened up again! So i definitely have moisture in the right brake housing freezing up and causing my problems, I believe the culprit is a bad rubber boot on the foot pedal, as one of you mentioned. I'll be tearing it apart to drain any water and replacing the boot. Thanks for all your help!

Also, I was able to find a PDF download of the original 600 page service manual for $30! Very good quality and way cheaper!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back