Log spiltter repower

FLOLDFORD

I need to repower a 35 ton TSC log spiltter that has a 342cc Briggs. Motor is junk from sitting out in the weather for the last 2 years. Has anyone had any luck with the Honda clones like the ones Harbor Freight sells?. Not sure of the horsepower of the Briggs as they don't list horsepower

I had one of them there 'Hodan' small engine. the only trouble I ever had with it was the recoil rope. I used it quit a bit too, but I was diligent with maintenance.
5.5Hp Honda, It always starter and had lots of power.

With Hyds I would use no less than 18Hp

The Harbor Freight engines are fine. We repowered a log splitter with a 212cc version about 3 years ago now. Virtually maintenance free. Ride it hard, put it away wet, and it starts first pull every time.

Only problem is the bolt pattern may not be the same for the pump mount. The Tecumseh that was on the splitter had a 1" shaft and a completely different pump mount. For the record there was no fix to the Tecumseh, as half the block was missing from it throwing the rod.

BTW, most manufacturers don't specify HP anymore because of the lawsuit. Go by the displacement in cc's.

I have an irrigation pump I bought from TSC 3 years ago with the hon-chink motor. Only problem so far is a bad coil. Just went to the honda shop and got a new coil.

Got an old TSC 20 ton splitter bought back in the 1970's. I'm on the third motor. The old girl is still going strong. Wore out the original motor, rebuilt it. Wore that out. Bought an OLD clapped out 5 hp Briggs from a guy who needed money for $35. Got 7-8 years outta that one before it died. Bought a new industrial grade Briggs a few years back. Been a lot of wood processed through that old splitter over the years.

Mkirsch, what lawsuit brought this on? I also hate the cc rating compared to the hp that everybody is used to. thanks chris

Never heard anything bad about those, but then again, I've never owned one either. Speeco makes Huskee, and below is the current 35 ton model with a 240CC Honda. I don't know why TSC does not offer this model, must be price point. Speeco dealer locator shows TSC only when I looked it up, so maybe special order if you want the one below ? I have seen Speeco splitters before, but never new at any local store, except with the Huskee name on it at TSC. I like the Speeco splitter line, for a few reasons and one of them was why I went for a used 28 ton Huskee was it had the GC190 Honda engine on it. Easy to start, great on fuel and easy to change the oil on and or service. Parts are easy to get, as I have TSC across the road and a Honda dealer a few buildings down from that. I have used pumps with Honda motors, a few others here and there, certainly can't go wrong with one of these, name brand with good parts support, easy starting, and perform well.

If I were to go for the 35 ton, the model below is what I'd go for, with the Honda, not the B/S and I've had a lot of those engines on things in the past which were usually good, but Honda's are easy starting even in the bitter cold sometimes B&S were not so kind, a minor thing in reality but... I've used Honda powered pumps at zero and below F when building ice rinks on our pond and even after cooled off, they restart easily.

Obviously the Honda will cost a bit more, but when I bought my 28 ton huskee, I looked to see what it would cost to replace an engine on it with what it came with, I believe the GC190 can still be had for under $300, was closer to $200.

Years ago, locally someone put an ad in on CL for a free 35 ton Huskee, same thing had happened, left outside, they wanted it gone, just missed it by another caller, and I recall looking into this then, re-powering one of these.

The one thing I am skeptical of these off brand name/clones if you will, is the parts support, and in that case maybe they are just throw away, or I just don't know squat about them and would rather pony up for a Honda or something I know a little more about. My father has a pump at the stable, some off name inexpensive brand, worked fine, as I have used it to pump the cistern type well down, not sure about everyday performance and longevity without problems.

The last link does show this engine listed for $579, least expensive listing I could find for one of these from a quick look, the middle link is from a page on the Honda web page, some good information there.
Speeco 35 ton with 240CC Honda

Honda GX 240

Honda GX240 listing

It's because they were lying about the horsepower so bad, just like Craftsman does with their tools. Example, a 5 hp. shop-vac that will run on a 15a 110 breaker, Impossible! Look at motorcycles and 4-wheelers, they have always just been sized in cc's, and we have always accepted that. On the other hand outboards are always just hp.

I just repowered mine with a predator from HF. I only needed 8hp, but they were all out so I got the 13hp. They have multiple bolt patterns on the block, and one of them matched up with mine (Tecumseh), so the fit up went pretty easy. It's working great so far.
Pete
a177872.jpg

In the real tiny print on the 219cc clone is listed 6.5 hp. If you have the traditional 2stage pump, it should work fine. I have a single stage vane pump and when the oil is cold, it will stall out before it will dump the relief, after it warms up will squeal the relief.
Otherwise, starts and runs fine. Like where the gas shutoff is mounted right there on the corner. Usually shut the gas off & let it run out, because I use mine only occasionally.

I have two honda clones. They are on champion RV 3500w generators. I liked the first generator so much I bought the second with electric start.

Don't use them that much, but never had an issue.

I was told that some briggs are made in china along with another engine found on must snow blowers.

If I needed one, I would try HF motor. If I was worried, buy an extended warranty.

I have gotten engines from small engine warehouse, on line. Helped a friend put an 18 hp engine on his rider from small engine warehouse.

I have seen many people on craigs list trying to sell engines off a pressure washer that has a bad pump. Some of those engines are hondas. Some are vertical shafts. Could you mount the pump on a vertical shaft?

Try putting an want ad on craigslist and see what you come up with.

Did a re power on an hay elevator with HF 219. I think it is around 6.5 horsepower and it has been great. Bought the extended warranty. The engine developed an oil leak took it back no questions asked exchanged it for a new one.

Drove to HF this afternoon and picked up a new 420 electric start. Had in mounted and hooked up in about an hour. Started on the second pull. Was going to buy the smaller one but of the two stores near me neither had one so went with the larger one. Need to put a 90 on the exhaust tomorrow as it blows straight at you. Got some green oak to split with it tomorrow and then it's back to it's owner. The first pics are of the original Briggs that was ruined by bull ants building a nest in the cylinder. Of all the engines I have worked on over the last 40 years this the first time I've seen one destroyed by ants.
a177893.jpg

a177894.jpg

a177895.jpg

At my age, I wouldn't want anything with a pull start! That electric start should man's best friend.

I agree, pull starting is hard on my right arm. Hurts for days. I hated my 13 hp honda pressure washer untill I installed an electric start.

Starting any 2 cycle engine hurts too, so I bought a 4 hp electric chain saw and a generator with an electric start.

Now my old body doesn't mind using a chainsaw or a pressure washer.

Getting old is no fun.

The Honda GX series engines are nearly bullet proof.

If you get a GC series engine you need to plan on replacing the cam gear as normal maintenance. It is a plastic gear. If the cam lobe wears and you don't keep the valves adjusted you will break the exhaust rocker arm. When the compression release gets worn you will have a hard time pulling the starter rope. It will kick back on you. Fortunately new gears can be had for about $20.

Glad to hear the thoughts on electric starting and the effects of hand starting. Whoever came up with the saying Golden Years must have had some unusually good health. My golden years were over 40 years ago.

Put a 6.5 hp HF engine on a Troy bilt rear tine tiller 5 years ago (1/4 acre garden). Only time it won't start on the first pull is when I forget to turn the switch "on".

You may just have gunk in the carb. I have a power washer bought new about 10 years ago. Never used sta-bil in the gas. Only used the thing like 4 times in 10 years. It sat for the last 6years. Bought a new carb $60 it started on the second pull. If I would have choked it on the first pull it would have started on the first pull.

(quoted from post at 19:14:57 12/30/14)
... Getting old is no fun.
Yeah getting old sucks rocks and is painful as all-get-out, but then again what is the alternative? :) I think I'm getting that somertimers and I don't remember that I'm old half the time anyway. :shock: :?

Use the smallest engine possible. One that lugs and almost looses rpm when at max pressure and max flow. It won't run below design temp like an over sized air cooled engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back