Log spitter

MR:

No. Operation of a three point log splitter from the hydraulic system of an 8N is not pracitcal.

The only practical way of doing so is the use of a PTO driven hydraulic pump.

It is likely less expensive and more practical to simply buy a gasoline powered log splitter.

Dean
 
MR

The hydraulics in the belly of the 8N produce about 2.5 gal/min at about 1500-1800 psi if the pump is really working good. Assuming the TSC splitter had a common size 3" or 3.5" diameter cylinder, it will be awful slow. Besides you will have to put some $$ into some conversion parts to allow you to use the remote hydraulics needed by the woodsplitter. It is a much more efficient use of gasoline to buy a splitter that has its own small engine in the 5 to 10 Hp range.

I have heated my home with firewood since 1978 and have progressed through one splitter for the 8N, then a stand alone one with a 3.5 Hp engine, and then finally got into the 8 Hp class of splitters. I got the big one (20 ton) x 24" length in about 1981. It has worn out 2 Techumseh engines, and I finally removed the cylinder yesterday to have it rebuilt for the first time since new. For the first 5 years I had it, I rented it out by the day, and it got a lot of use (and some abuse too). Bottom line, it has paid for itself more than a few times, and will probably live another 20 years with some rebuilding of the engine. BTW, one rebuild of the 8N engine cost me more than the entire cost of the splitter when it was new.

Buy a decent one with a 2 stage pump to get quick but safe cycle times and the hydraulic power to split the nasty elm that we have plenty of here in MN. You can probably find a good factory built splitter in the used market as there is always someone retiring from burning wood.

Paul in MN
 
I have a log splitter that works off the pto. It is call a bark-buster and uses a large screw to split the wood from the side of the log not the end. I have had it for almost 25 years. it is very dangerous if you don"t know what you are doing. I don"t think they make them anymore.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top