Looking At A W-9

Duncan80

New User
I am currently looking at buying a McCormick W-9. I have a 41 Farmall M, but that is the extent of my red tractor knowledge. The W-9 is in decent shape, has practically new tires, and the sheet metal is fairly straight. It has not ran in 10 years, but was supposedly running when parked. It turns over, has gas to the carb, but has no spark. This is a magneto tractor. The owner also said it needs a water pump. I know these were made a good many years, but I cannot find many parts for them. It seems that they are a breed all their own. The owner claims it ran great when he parked it. I just don't know what sort of risk would be taken not being able to hear it run, drive, ect. The transmission, oil pressure, etc is a big unknown. According to the serial tag, its a 42 model. I believe I can get it for around $1500. Are there parts available, will this be a big risk? I just need some advice.

Thanks!

The W6 is the standard tread version of the Farmall M and uses many of the same parts. The W9 is in a league of its own. Was replaced by the McCormick 600, and then the 650. Not too many of those were built, so parts, new or used, are tough to find.

The unknown engine condition is an issue that really needs a lower price to be attractive. Practically new 10 year old tires that have set partially filled can easily crack and become worthless. The engine is a gasoline redo of the diesel used in the WD-9 (more made of those) this means the mag turns backward and parts special to the gas engine are not going to be reproduced. The tractor is heavy and not easily transported to shows. If you are set on it you will do it no matter what. If inexperienced, be careful what you wish for. My brother has a I-9 which is little different, and it is not currently operational. Jim

I know of a couple of W9s being used for antique tractor pulling, but both of those have been repowered with Chevy engines.

Ahhh yes read the others. But they are such a big chuny beast. No rear hydraulic drawbar. Just brute power. I would like one too but I DO have a cast scale model of one !!

Most parts are available just expensive. I had a water pump rebuilt at a shop it was 300 bucks but worked great. Mags and distributor is only for a gas w9 600 650.diesel distrib or others i dont think will work. 1500 seems high for something that wont drive on to a trailer.
Radiator cores are available but expensive. I have a few of those models and they are a hell of alot of fun to drive. They are BIG. I grew up in north dakota and were pretty common.

i really like mine. always was fond of that big wide stance.
cvphoto39046.jpg
had it at the tractor pulls and does pretty good.

It is difficult (nearly impossible) to find new engine or tranmission parts for a W-9. Electrical, ignition, or appearance items can generally be dealt with much like any other tractor. The engine may be okay. In my area there were lots of the 9-series tractors sold. Most people didn't keep the W-9's for very long if they did a lot of field work because the fuel consumption was quite high. For that reason, it is possible to run across a W-9 that has lower hours than what you would find typically find on a WD-9.

The W-9's were fairly trouble free if they had some periodic maintenance done on them. They did not have the cracked cylinder head issues that the WD-9's are well known for.

If the water pump is leaking then it may only need to have the packing nut tightened or packing added. Many folks these days falsely assume that a water pump is a replacement item which is not normally true for these tractors. I believe the water pump uses normal "off-the-shelf" bearings. If the water pump was greased periodically it will outlast the tractor and the owner. We have had WD-9's on our farm since 1953 (some with over 10,000 hours) and have never had to service a water pump. The water pump is the same for a W-9 and WD-9 so if you do need to locate one, then a used one for a WD-9 can likely be found without much trouble.

If it is complete, the tires are not rotted from sitting, the sheet metal is straight and you can feel decent compression on all 4 cylinders when turning it with the crank then it likely is good tractor. A good rule of thumb that an old tractor friend had is that he typically would pay 2X the scrap iron price for a complete non-running tractor unless it was a rare model with a high demand (A W-9 is not high demand. Uncommon, but not rare).

[video play=false:654c4848f0]https://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cvvideos/cvvideo39051.mov[/video:654c4848f0]

Thanks guys. I may wait a few days and make him an offer. I love the look of a standard tread tractor also. I appreciate the advice given as always!

Here we are. Took a picture of my 600. The biggest of the beasts. There was a restored one at Kinzer show. Man that thing was big.
cvphoto39086.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back