looking for tractor advice

So my 15 year old has a small hay business. He is looking for a small tractor to pull a NH side delivery rake plus a 2 basket tedder if he gets one and use around the farm for odd jobs and to maybe fix up. We were kind of thinking about a Farmall C or something that size that would be easy on fuel. Open to all brands just want to be able to get parts and work on it if and when we need too
Thanks for any help

In the JI Case line the 300 and 430 would meet your needs. The hydraulics are better than others in that they are easier to control and don't go wondering up or down. The Eagle Hitch is like a quick hitch so easier to hook up 3 point equipment. Twelve speeds forward and three backwards with a foot and hand clutch that gives you live PTO.

You don't explain what he does with the hay after raking /tedding. Does someone else come and bale it and haul it away? If so, then a Farmall C or Ford 8N/9N, Allis B or C, etc. will be plenty. If he's pulling a baler and loaded wagons that's another story. Do you have hills? We always considered Fords and other small tractors to be unsafe to use for pulling heavy loads like that. Something that weighs up around 4000-6000 lbs would handle those jobs.

He has a Massey 175 as his big tractor and I have an M4 Kubota that we bale with the Massey is hopefully going to be the disc mower power plant

Should do ok for what you got listed , Farmall C (no live pto) narrow front but very maneuverable . C will pull a baler with engine and hay wagon with mild slopes for hills add wheel weights , wide front c are terrible steering .
Ford 2000 , 3000 with power steering. Ford four thousand.
Live pto

OK. You're well equipped for the mission at hand. It won't require a very big tractor to do the raking, etc. I'd stay away from a Farmall cub, though. Condition of the tractor will be more of a concern than brand. Parts are , for the most, readily available for those old tractors.

I pull a two rotor tedder and a side delivery rake with either my wide front SC or 8N Ford.. Easy on gas and plenty of power.

cvphoto155790.jpg

I love my 1950 Farmall C.
It has a cadillac ride compared to my 1953 Jubilee. Monroe seat large spring in the back.
No water pump, no 3 pt, no live PTO.
It handles a 6 ft woods belly mower and sips gas.
It has a magneto which so far hasn't caused any problems. I'm sure someday, I'll have to learn how to replace the points and condenser in the mag.

Just move on up to a 20 series deere or 74,06,56,66 series Ih or even some of the Case in the 430,530,730 line or the Oliver 770,880,or some of the newer models there. Would work well.

Seems like one of the older small MF's would be ideal. MF TO35, 35, 135. Would be heavy enough to move bale wagons with too unless you have hills.

Tim

Suer C with a fast hitch is a nice tractor, a few more horse power and he can spend years looking for the fast hitch implements.
cvphoto155795.jpg

cvphoto155797.jpg

cvphoto155798.jpg

I have a David Brown 780 I paid $1000 for back around 2002,have used it to rake with ever since,very easy on fuel.I'd suggest a diesel of some brand since your other tractors are diesel.

Well for a raking and tedding and something that has live power and POWER Steering and live Hyd.'s instead of a Super C hows about a 350 Farmall with a wide ft. , maybe a little hard to find in some area's . But they are somwhat short but have decent ground clearance and forth gear is great for raking . A good running one on ground not to hilly it has the power to run a 9 foot haybine . When weighted down they can pull a good load. I always wanted to get one with a wide ft. But in all the sales i use to go to i never ran into one .

A Case VAC would be another alternative to a Farmall C, small, light and economical for raking hay if you only want a dedicated raking tractor. If you are concerned about limiting speed for a young driver while raking or traveling on the road the C and VAC would be good choices as they only have 4 gears, three are under 5 MPH at wide open throttle and road gear is maybe 10 MPH tops. Lack of a live PTO and live hydraulics would be a big handicap for productivity and efficiency. IMHO, both would be too small and light to handle loaded bale wagons on the road.

A Farmall 300, 350 or 460 would have more weight and better gear choices, live PTO, live hydraulics, etc to handle a tedder. An Oliver 77, 770 or 1600 would also be a good choice.

The farm economy is very good right now, so any tractor will be expensive. You might as well get one that best fits your future plans.

175 to mow with, Kubota to bale with, something small for the tedder and rake, what are you going to pull a wagon with

In a pinch I ve pulled my 256 bar rake with my Honda 4 wheeler but it doesn t have pto for a tedder and that field was fairly flat

Since you already have a Massey I d look for a 35 or 135 with the Perkins diesel, those are very fuel efficient
Type of terrain your working on can also effect decisions, 35or 135 will easily hand the tedder or rake on the steepest hill you would want to bale, a wagon load of hay on that hill would be another issue

I m a Ford owner myself, lots of choices in the small Ford tractor selections

Like others you didn t mention how your moving the hay off the field so we can t say what particular tractor would be your best option, small for what you mentioned or a little bigger should it be needed for another use

Most of our square bales are sold out of the field. The rest are picked up and put on our little 14 trailer. He does like the look of the old Fords and he is a Massey guy at heart. Found an old JD 2010 but I have heard all those horror stories before. This will be used for raking and maybe tedding if he gets a tedder and just general putting around and odd chores. He does have an old Massey carry all we want to put on if we get a tractor with 3 point to haul his hog feed in

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back