Loose Crankshaft and pulley splines

Is there a way to fix the splines on a crankshaft pulley?

The crankshaft pulley is loose, as well as the flat head or slotted bolt that holds it in place.

Yet, the pulley itself and possibly the crank splines are not a tight fit. About a 1/32? of play when I slip the pulley on to the shaft.

Is there a material that can be brushed on the splines, that will harden, to fill the spline gaps? Or a machined sleeve that can fit on the shaft and pulley for a tight slip fit? But it seems a keyway would be needed.

Im not sure that the slotted crankshaft pulley bolt was a good design - seems like securing it to the shaft is limited with a large flat head.

What are some options, short of trying to find a good crank and pulley.

Thanks.

Clarification: the pulley bolt fits fine. It was loose when i was able to look at it, after removing front axle assembly. It threads on to the shaft and tightens fine.

The thick washer at the crankshaft nut pinches tight the pulley hub against the governor which pinches tight to the crankshaft timing gear. So if the nut is tight the spline tightness is irrelevant.

Murry, are you saying it was just a loose bolt? Good news! Have you had a chance to see if there is indeed oil pressure yet?

Loose bolt, yes. Loose and worn pulley and splines too. About 1/16? plus back and forth play with pulley on splined crankshaft.

44 PSI with new oil gauge installed.

Don't know what you are working on but the pulley needs changed. Crank splines are hardened and probably fine. On my 850 I tossed that flathead and put a regular bolt in. You only need the flathead if you're driving a pump off the front.

What splines are you talking about?
The crank has a key slot for the pulley to align to, I've never seen one that was worn.
Are you talking about the splined adapter for the hydraulic pump drive.

That must be it. Yes. I am driving a hydraulic pump
for a Ford 703 Front End Loader.

The adapter is splined for a slip fit on the crank.
The adapter has 4 bolt holes that secure another
cast adapter that holds the crankshaft pulley.

That assembly is loose on the crankshaft.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back