Lower steering column seal replacement

flyingace

Member
I have a leak out of the relief valve on the steering housing. I replaced the upper column seal because the manual said that was the cause of that leak. Guess what, didn't help. Now I'm after the lower seal between the control valve and control valve housing.

At first, I was just going to remove the nut and washer assembly and remove just the control valve, but I'm concerned about the plungers and springs falling out, both at removal and replacement.

Should I follow the manual's advice and remove the entire steering gear or can I get away with plan 'A'? Anybody else done this?
 
It does sound like the lower seal.
Just go ahead and remove the control valve. Not a big deal if the plungers fall out - just don't drop them on the floor. Take the valve apart and clean everything in lacquer thinner. Use oil or a light grease to reassemble. You can reinstall the plungers, etc after you set it back on the column. We can help you reassemble it if you need it - it's very easy to do.
PS, always mention which tractor your working on.
I had to go back and look at some of your old posts and think you're working on a 3000 but the 3 cyl and 4 cyl are basically the same.
 
(quoted from post at 18:53:34 08/12/12) It does sound like the lower seal.
Just go ahead and remove the control valve. Not a big deal if the plungers fall out - just don't drop them on the floor. Take the valve apart and clean everything in lacquer thinner. Use oil or a light grease to reassemble. You can reinstall the plungers, etc after you set it back on the column. We can help you reassemble it if you need it - it's very easy to do.
PS, always mention which tractor your working on.
I had to go back and look at some of your old posts and think you're working on a 3000 but the 3 cyl and 4 cyl are basically the same.

Thanks. I'll do this. And sorry I forgot make/model - I usually remember that.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top