LUCAS M45 STARTER CLICKS

Jackangel

HI guys,

Its now time to solve this for good.

Got this issue on my PERKINS AD3.152. The starter motor often just clicks and does not crank the engine, after some attempts and by keeping the key rotated in start position it cranks. This happens both with cold and hot starts.

I already torn down some time ago the starter and polished it, but not the solenoid. When tested with an offline battery it was ok. Battery is 80A, new

Now again this problem. I can hear the click (meaning the Bendix coil strokes forward) but then nothing.

Thanks to all of you

(quoted from post at 07:26:45 03/11/21) When checking with offline battery does it work every time? If so then problem is elsewhere.

thanks 2t, it did happen also with offline battery but i'd say one out of ten attempts...while when attemptino onbard it just happens too often...

What could be the issue then?

Most times its the jam nut at the starter that holds the internal connection, the nut you see when you take the cable off.

(quoted from post at 05:30:09 03/12/21) Most times its the jam nut at the starter that holds the internal connection, the nut you see when you take the cable off.

thx again, which one of the three I circled? i guess red one on the startet it self.

I would clean every one of those connections really good. Also make sure all your battery connections are clean. It doesn't take much to make it act up like that.

(quoted from post at 15:14:22 03/12/21) I would clean every one of those connections really good. Also make sure all your battery connections are clean. It doesn't take much to make it act up like that.

thanks I gave a try,..

the threded copper pin where the + from the battery is screwed looks like a little bit worneout and the nut gets little bit loose...

It seems better now but I will wait as i am afraid it will happen again

Have you checked the battery cables and post clamps. Clean both cables, both ends and make sure of good connections especially with the ground cable. Ground cable should connect direct to tractor main frame as close to starter as possible

If cables are corroded or questionable, or if clamps are eaten away replace the cables.

(quoted from post at 08:27:13 03/16/21) Have you checked the battery cables and post clamps. Clean both cables, both ends and make sure of good connections especially with the ground cable. Ground cable should connect direct to tractor main frame as close to starter as possible

If cables are corroded or questionable, or if clamps are eaten away replace the cables.

done it... no improvemtens it just clicks 3/4 times before cranking.... regardless of hot/cold engine..

(quoted from post at 05:18:37 03/23/21)
(quoted from post at 08:27:13 03/16/21) Have you checked the battery cables and post clamps. Clean both cables, both ends and make sure of good connections especially with the ground cable. Ground cable should connect direct to tractor main frame as close to starter as possible

done it... no improvemtens it just clicks 3/4 times before cranking.... regardless of hot/cold engine..

I would replace the solenoid and try it, sounds like the contacts inside it may be getting bad. If that doesn't solve the problem, the starter may need to be fully checked out by a shop with the tooling to test the armature and fields.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back