Magneto questions

Tnbshr

Good day,
I have a 1947 John Deere D with an Edison Splitdorf mag on it.
The spark plug has a very small orange spark, curious if that is normal. My other question is i bought another rebuilt Edison Spitdorf the seller only info on it was "rebuilt tested HOT!" Does anyone know what that means? I should have asked the seller by that opportunity is gone now.

hot means good like a blue spark with a good snap. orange spark not good. u can check the spark yourself, by hooking a wire and plug to it
in a vise. clean the points on the weak spark one and u might be in business.

Its hard to describe in detail and words or accurately, but FWIW I agree at the same
distance if the spark is weak wimpy barely visible thats less energy than a bright
blue visible spark ......... The most common causes of a weak spark are the points but
remember also the faster the rotation the more energy a mag or generator etc produces
and with an impulse spring wind n trip assembly for a mags start up spark, a weak
wimpy spring yields a weak wimpy start up spark....

John T

The magneto man I go to puts his rebuilds in the tester and if it doesnt snap a bright blue spark 5/16
you dont get it back till it does. Kevins Magneto Service in Manito Illinois. You can find him online

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back