Making/Printing Decals

Kerwin

Member
I have a couple of questions about decals. I'm trying to replicate an implement model number, which is basically three white numbers with a black outline. I can replicate the numerals using a dead-on font in photoshop, just need to print...

I've talked to local sign makers, who could make it out of vinyl, but they can't actually print the black on the white. Instead, they could layer a black layer under the white to get the outline effect.

Do I need to search out someone who specializes in decals, rather than signs? Seems to me someone should be able to actually "print" a decal.

Or, are there white mylar or vinyl decal sheets available for me to use on a laser printer to print black outline around a white number?
 
Even if you could, print wouldn't last long. Layer it or you could just buy white letters and outline them with black stripping tape.
 
I am currently working on a project involving decals for my equipment. I've found finding replacement decals is near impossible with 80% of machines made before 1970. Safety decals would be an exception as there seems to be an abundance of them. If I can't find a certain decal, I'll find a machine that it's on & photograph the decal. Sometimes you just can't find a decal intact. Just photoshop it.

I don't know of any mylar or vynal blank decal sheets for the avarage home printer. I do know you can buy sheets of water transfer decal paper, in clear or white, that you can use in a regular printer. I recommend buying a decal prining starter set as it will include instructions, decal paper (sometimes both clear & white) & a spray on sealant to keep the ink from running when it hits the water. You should be able to clear coat over the decal, on whatever surface you applied the decal to, to further seal the decal in place. I don't think you can do that with vynal or mylar. I also haven't worked with either of them to that extent. Maybe someone with experiance could shine some light on the subject of clear coating vynal decals.

Large scale water transfers are fairly easy to deal with & will give a more original look to your machine. If you have patience, they won't rip. They also don't stick out like most vynal decals. Nuthin' bugs me more than a vynal decal on a hood with orange peel. Just my $.02.

Mike
 
don't know what you need in decals but another supplier of decals is, //maplehunterdecalstexas.com Don't know if they will have what you are looking for, just a suggestion.
 
Where do you get your decal paper (internet or store)? Also, would the paper work in a laser printer? I would think you wouldn't have to worry about the ink running.
 
What is used to print decals on is vinyl. They use a vinyl ink and it bonds on the decal. Years ago decals were silk screened and die cut in mass. If there is a way to use a laser printer, I do not know of it. If you go to a local sign/graphic shop you may be able to get a sample and try it on a laser printer. Ink jets won't work because the ink will wash off. What decal are you wanting to make? I have a sign machine which cuts vinly letters and some graphics.
 
The internet is a good place as well has most any hobby shop or hobby chain-store. I recommend the link below to my favorite one stop train shopping spot. I'm not sure about using a laser printer. Might want to give someone a call at Walthers & ask. Great people to deal with! At least they have been in my 30+ & my Dad's 60+ years.
Walthers
 
Right now I'm just trying to replicate "990" for a mower conditioner. White numbers with a black outline, about 3-5/8" high. I've found a very close font to use, just need it made into a decal.

However, I will probably have some more as I get into some other equipment that's waiting for paint.

I'm going to try another local sign company to see if they can actually print a decal, rather than layer vinyl.
 
Thanks for the info. I've dealt with Walthers in the past for MR supplies, didn't think about them for decal paper.
 
would that be an IH 990 haybine you need decals for? About seven or eight years ago, I got a decal kit of just the "INTERNATIONAL" decals, with the black outline around the letters & they very in size. While we were looking for the International decals, we found number sets. Three or four different sizes & two or three different styles. Your black outlined ones being one of the options. The part numbers were vallid at the time.

I have to go down to the dealership tomorrow & order a few decals, myself. I'll ask about the number sets & get back to you.

Mike
 
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, it's a 990 mower conditioner, and I'm just trying to replicate the large "990" on the removable guard covering the PTO shaft going into the gearbox. The rest of the decals are OK.

I also noticed that the guard has a CAUTION decal, are these readily available from the dealer? Or reproduced somewhere?
 
Is your decal still ledgible & what does it say? If the caution decal is generic, i.e. a basic caution that can be used on other machines, your local CaseIH dealer may be able to order them new. If it's a decal specific to that machine or machines in that series, it may be a pain to find. I'll see what I can do from my end, once I know what the decal is for.

Mike
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top