Manure spreader tires

BearGap

I have used a ground-driven IH-100 40bu manure spreader for the last 25 years, running the same ag tires that were on it when I bought it used at auction. Alas, spreading heavy loads of wet manure last weekend broke the chain (second time in 25 years) so that needs fixing, and the tires are basically shot from dry-rot with the tube showing through the cracks. The ones on it are marked 5.50x16 (same as manual shows), and stamped 4-ply rated Goodyear traction implement. Replacement 4-ply tires are relatively inexpensive, but I am concerned over the load rating. Current 4-ply tires are marked load range B and say 620lb load. Has that rating changed? If that is what I've been using, it certainly has held up, but it seems 40bu might require more like a 1000+lb rating, and those move into 6-ply load range C tires that are 3-4 times more expensive. Am I OK staying with 4-ply tires?

Can you get some tires, to fit the rimes, that have a L T written on them? and buy them, That stand for Light truck, there much heavier and better than a P tire, that p stand for passenger!

Load rating is essentially a tire's maximum safe capacity at sustained HIGHWAY speeds. It is a function of a tire's resistance to temperature build-up and heat-related failure.

Tires on a loaded manure spreader at work in the field - or being pulled on the highway by a tractor in road gear - is in no danger of overheating/failing, despite being "overloaded".

I'd stick with 4-ply rated, load range B tires and not be concerned.

(quoted from post at 14:37:39 03/28/17) Can you get some tires, to fit the rimes, that have a L T written on them? and buy them, That stand for Light truck, there much heavier and better than a P tire, that p stand for passenger!

Truck tires won't work well for a ground-driven spreader.

Yeah, and get some with the coarsest tread pattern you can find......a ground drive spreader needs pretty good traction to operate the unloading equipment sometimes.

Thanks to all for the comments. The ag tires I am finding with good prices are all marked 16/6.50--8, which I assume means a rim width of 6.5-8". I do plan to install tubes as these old wheels probably don't hold air. Will those tires fit on the rim designed for a 16/5.50 tire?

No. 16/6.50-8 looks like a lawn and garden size. It means the overall tire diameter is 16, width is 6.50 and the rim diameter is 8. Your originals are on a 16 diameter rim. In other words, that whole tire is only as tall as your bare rim.

Whoops! I finally found the answer to my own question. The 16/6.50-8 ag tires I was directed to use a different naming convention. They are 16" overall and fit an 8" wheel...garden tractor tires! I am glad I didn't order those, now to try to find something that will fit the 16" wheels on this spreader.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back