loaded tires

300 dave

Is it possible to load tires with calcium on my own? I know tractor supply has a hose end but how does it work? do I need a pump? I have 4 loaded tires that are shot, but still loaded.

thanks all

i do my own tires. i use a transfer pump and the fill adapter kit. i use 55 gallon plastic drums to hold the fluid. rotate the tire valve to the 12 oclock position, remove the valve and install the fill adapter. hook a garden hose up the the fill adapter and the other end to the transfer pump. use a second hose to attach to pump output and other end in barrel. now rotate tire to 6 oclock position and start pump. reverse connections to fill tires. harbor freight has an in expensive transfer pump. home depot is a little more pricy. here is a link.
transfer pump

You unscrew the valve stem from the nipple on the tube, then the small end of the adapter (hopefully) screws on the nipple. It adapts you up to a garden hose.

Hopefully because the nipple can be corroded up and the adapter won't thread on.

You'll need a pump. I have a roller pump out of an OLD washing machine. You don't want to spend a lot of money on a pump because of the CaCl fluid. So don't use your expensive Milwaukee transfer pump. A cheap drill pump from harbor freight seems to work ok.

You just need garden hoses to go from the adapter to the pump and the pump to the barrel. Old garden hoses again because of the CaCl.

You don't actually need a pump as long as you have something that will lift the weight of the fully loaded tire and a place high enough to lay it down. I remember doing
it long ago, probably 40-45 years ago. Laid the tire on the truck body, adapted a hose to the valve stem and gravity drained the liquid into a barrel, changed the tire,
reversed positions and drained the barrel into the tube. I'm not claiming it was the best way to do it, but we managed to get it done. If I remember correctly, we reused
the tube.

I like this style of liquid adapter. The black tape is covering the bleed hole that lets air out when filling. I use the tape to let me pull suction when draining a tire.

cvphoto163414.jpg

The pump I use is an air powered diaphragm pump. Meant to move chemical so the chloride doesnt bother it.

cvphoto163415.jpg

I extracted calcium mixture from tires by inflating them with the valve on top, then turning the valve to the bottom and installing a hose onto the valve stem. The pressure blew out quite a bit and then repeat the process. My dad filled tires with a funnel and hose. it was very slow

if it's calcium chloride and you want to save it (I don't because when I refill I use windshield washer fluid), jack one side , attach the valve to the valve stem with the core removed, rotate the tire so the valve stem is at 6 oclock and set it down, let gravity work. you can attach a hose and capture it in a barrel or let it rip on a dirt drive to keep dust down, or some weeds that need killed. To refill you will need a barrel and a sump pump, jack one side put valve stem at 11 or 1 and when it runs out of the stem move stem to 12 and inflate with air. you will have to hit the relief button on the fitting occasionally to let air displace

I fill and empty loaded tires with no pump by putting the gizmo on the pipe coming out of the rim after stem is out then I use an old washing machine hose with both ends the same .Drin into barrel laying dwon using the top bung. when full get a second barrel. I also when done draining jack it up put a block under the center of the bottom of the tire let it back down gets most of the juice out that would be in the hollow of the rim. To fill if you have one of the following a loader a half barrel or a block and tackle just lift the filled barrel up so the fluid will flow from barrel into tire. IF no loader or block and takle I put the half barrel up on the fender then pour the fluid into the half barrel to let run back into the tire. We also removed the bleeder valve and put an old stem with a piece of shifter air line in it so the air can move both ways as you empty and fill. No pump used in the whole process. I have added air to the tire while draining to speed up process draining. Just push blow gun into end of washer hose to add a few pound of pressure. I also usually drain with a piece of radiator over flow hoes shoved on the pipe sized so it is tight enough to not leak.

When I filled these tires with washer fluid, I had the 55 gal. drum in my trailer and the tire resting on a 4x4 flat on the ground with the valve stem up. I used a 1/8 plastic line and siphoned the fluid into the tire. It took a while but worked perfectly. Getting the old tire high enough to siphon out of might be problematic.
cvphoto163454.jpg

My brother and I have been doing all our farm tire work for more than 30 years. For fluid-filled tires we pumped the fluid in and out with a Pacer transfer pump plumbed to fit the tire fittings. Worked fine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back