Massey 1105 Hydraulic Problems

DMolaver

New User
Hey guys - i have a massey 1105 that i've been having some hydraulic trouble with recently. I had a bad leak out of the front input shaft that triggered me to remove the pump and order all new seals. I had pressure and all functions worked both high and low pressure, but things did move relatively slow and i knew something might be up. When i dismantled the radial piston pump to replace all of the seals i found that all of the pistons were smashed and only 1 of them moved freely. I locally sourced an almost identical pump off of an 1100, and re-used the valve body off of my original pump with the 1100's piston body and pistons. Everything matched up and went back together fine, however upon re-installation i had ZERO high pressure functions now. no 3 point lift, no power steering, no loader or remote functions. I tried cracking lines and bleeding where i could with no luck. I figured that the pump body and valve body i used might not be compatible with eachother, and ordered a used pump from external_link. I did remove a couple of plugs and the pistons were in excellent shape, so i installed it last night and got everything hooked back up. Still ZERO high pressure functions. I dont know if the system is just air bound, needs to be bled, something is out of adjustment, or what but i have no idea where to start and i have animals that need to be fed round bales. Anything helps, unfortunately i haven't heard anything good about the dealers around here regarding these older tractors and service.

Do you have CHARGING pump pressure to the radial pump? If one of the two PTO input driveline couplers fail, then drive will be lost to the charging pump which feeds the radial pump. The flywheel end coupler usually dies first, or the coupler at the trans-diff joint can strip it's splines also..

Yes i have charging pressure i havent actually tedted the pressure but when you crack the supply line to the radial pump there is plenty of fluid. All was working fine before replacing the radial piston pump

Spent the night trying to bleed everything again with no luck. I have a good stream of hydraulic oil that comes out when you crack the supply line to the radial pump, no way to check the pressure though. Is there a way to check the pressure of the charge pump at the pump? I hooked on to my loader tonight also which is teed off before the priority valve, and that acted the same. Very slow movement and no pressure at all, it will move the cylinders with no load on them but that is all.

I have seen filters plugged so bad the nothing would work till it was changed.

I should have mentioned in the original post that it has a new hydraulic filter, just changed when i changed the pump. I also took the screen out and cleaned that, there was some small metal debris but nothing major. Im wondering if my problem is the charge pump or if the system is contaminated with metal now from the old pump. Again all hydraulic functions worked before i removed the old pump. I only tore into it because the input shaft leaked badly

More than likely the charge pump is weak/failed or couplers like Dieseltech mentioned, he has worked on a lot of those tractors :) Either get some gauges on the test port and see what you get or you can try to speed engine up to about 1200 rpm and see if the charge pump catches to prime the front pump. I know our 1135 is getting weak as if it sits for long periods of time upon initial startup you have to speed it up to 1200 rpm for it to catch prime and then it's fine. One of these days I will get it off and rebuild it and reseal the radial pump too.

Brad

Took unloading valve out tonight and
cleaned it with no change. Going to
attempt some pressure tests next. Does
anyone know what fitting is needed to
adapt to the test ports on the trans top
cover? They look to be about 1/8 npt size
but the plugs have an o-ring, and it
appears to be a straight thread. Also can
i check the rear couplers just using a
gauge in a quick connect?

I tested charging pressure via the shop
manual procedure, as well as sensing line
pressure, and static pressure at rear
remotes. Zero pressure recorded on rear
remotes, charging pressure seemed ok
according to manual, but i was reading
with a 5000psi gauge. Charging pump has
pressure on both high and low sides. I am
assuming to check out the priority valve
next?

I tore top cover off tonight and inspected/cleaned the charging pump, pressure regulating valve, relief valve, and unloading valve. None of the valves were stuck or appeared damaged, didn't really find any dirty fluid. The charge pump small gear set has some very light scuffing on the teeth/grooves of the gear, and there appears to be some scuffing on the associated cover, as well as the back edge of the bore (not the round part of the bore than the rotor spins in, but the rear side of the bore opposite the cover). Im wondering if this is enough to cause the issue im having, or if i should begin looking elsewhere. Still havent checked priority valve, based on my loader not functioning which is teed in before the priority valve, and i have not re-assembled yet (need to pick up new front cover gasket)

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back