Massey Backhoe parts info needed

Brokengun

I am looking for information regarding a Massey Backhoe I believe the Number of the Hoe is a number 222. I believe a #54 uses the same seals

I am looking for the seal numbers for a Cessna Rotary Cylinder or the cross reference numbers to other than AGCO seal source.

If anyone has the actual measurements of the seals or any helpful information about acquiring the seals or a seal kit would be helpful

Do any of you know where I can get the seal numbers for a this Hoe rotary Cylinder . The AGCO site is near worthless for my ancient computer

No this an old 3165 Hoe with a 222 hoe, but as far as i can find the parts from a 54 Hoe will fit. What I am hoping to find are some seals from source other than AGCO/Massey.

I need the seals and back-up rings for the Cessna Rotary Cylinder. Do you have those seals either individually or in a kit?
JAW710 gave you a link to the seal kits this site's owner (PartsASAP) shows online. JAW710 didn't say he has the seals, and the PartsASAP parts sales department doesn't monitor these forums and answer questions like you asked here. You will have to contact PartsASAP.

From what is shown on the pages related to that link, my guess is PartsASAP won't have anything like the parts you need for a Cessna rotary swing cylinder listed and I doubt a call to them will yield parts for one either, but it's worth a try.

Some people/places won't even know what a backhoe rotary swing cylinder is, a clue to how popular they were/are. This is going to be a call or visit search, not just look at website parts lists. You can try calling a place like Baum Hydraulics (they have a website where you can get the phone number), they do a lot with cylinders, seals, seal kits, and other hydraulics. They might have some info on those cylinders. Other members that have or had these cylinders may see this thread and toss out some other places you could call. Have you talked to a full-service hydraulic shop that actually rebuilds pumps and cylinders? Have you located a Cessna Dealer and talked with them? Cessna Hydraulics is an Eaton brand now, if you haven't found that, so an Eaton dealer might be able to get you info.

There have been some threads on various forums, here and on other websites, about rebuilding some of those rotary cylinders. They were not the greatest thing going once they got some age on them, and a number of people modified their hoes by removing the rotary cylinders to use common rod type cylinders or cylinders and chain systems on the swing. If AGCO has the parts available that may be the best source for them, even if it is harder on your wallet than you like.

Good luck, you are looking for something that is not popular enough to have much of a part offering in the aftermarket. There may be some cross reference materials somewhere (like Baum), but I can't tell you where to find any for certain. MF, Allis Chalmers, and John Deere where some brands that had hoes which used rotary swing cylinders for a time. A major search for parts appears to be a common theme with all of them people are trying to repair. A search of the forum archives here may turn up some old threads related to the rotary swing cylinders.

You might start a thread about this on the Massey Ferguson forum here asking people to look at this thread if they have any info to help you.

I am looking for information regarding a Massey Backhoe I believe the Number of the Hoe is a number 222. I believe a #54 uses the same seals

I am looking for the seal numbers for a Cessna Rotary Cylinder or the cross reference numbers to other than AGCO seal source.

If anyone has the actual measurements of the seals or any helpful information about acquiring the seals or a seal kit would be helpful
Hi man. I am also looking for information on the Massey 222 I was wondering if maybe you could help me out with my question. I just bought a Massey 222 backhoe to mount on my MF 50A the problem I have is it didn’t come with the top link assembly or rod assembly essentially the top mounting arms with the hooks that keep the backhoe tied down to the tractor. I was hoping if you have a similar set up you could give me the exact measurement length x width x width of those two parts I will attach a parts diagram. The parts I am looking for the measurements are #1 and #3. They used the same arms on a ton of tractor so if you have them on yours please I need to fabricate some up and dimensions would be a life saver… thank you in hopes you respond

Attachments

• IMG_0817.png
    IMG_0817.png
    394.9 KB · Views: 21
Any I update on this? I have my swing cylinder taken apart and the prices agco wants is just insulting. I just need the top seal, it seems to be a soft seal that you'd could swap out with a generic seal and backup ring. I have already have a new white Teflon seal that goes below .

Any I update on this? I have my swing cylinder taken apart and the prices agco wants is just insulting. I just need the top seal, it seems to be a soft seal that you'd could swap out with a generic seal and backup ring. I have already have a new white Teflon seal that goes below .

I just saw the kit # on another thread it’s for a 54 and the guy who posted it said the 222 was different it used bushings and the later ones they sold a conversion kit for.. but here’s the part # for the seal kit for the 54. 836002M92 And I looked it up and I attached a pic that has all the part# for the kit. Hope it helps.
IMG_0844.png

I have not purchased any seals has of this time. Still looking a for an affordable source.

The Cessna Rotary Cylinder uses a Hat style seal. A regular gland seal is not used because the cylinder turns.

Please notice if you want just the seals and back-up rings the part number for the 222 and 54 are the same. The difference for the kits are the other parts.

The number 222 hoe uses kit number 837180M92 the seals and back-up rings numbers are #5) 1031686M1 for the B-rings; #6) 1097135M1 for the seal; and #23) 1031689M1 for another seal.

The Number 54 uses kit number 836002M92. The seal number are #3) 1031685M1; #4) 1031686M1 B-ring; #22) 1031689M1 seal

For the person needing the information about #1 and # 5 the long threaded rod and the tie down arm…

If you still need measurements for your Hoe; I will measure mine and share.

Measured my Hoe rod and strut.

The threaded rod is 3/4" diameter, fine thread and 24" inch long over all with a yoke on one end. Yoke uses a 3/4" pin. Yoke is rather thick and robust

The strut arm is 55" long over-all but the center to center pin distance measures 51-1/2" inches long .

The strut measures 2-1/8" inches wide and 2-3/4 inches deep. The steel is 3/16ths thick. The front pin is 1" inch diameter and the strut is reinforced (thicker at the front pin point)

There is a claw end on one end of the strut arm where it connects to the Hoe. On my Hoe the pin for the claw is 1-1/2 inches in diameter and is welded integral to the Hoe Frame

There is a Hole for the 3/4" threaded rod to go through the middle of the strut in front of the claw but not close enough to weaken the claw.

Hope this helps.

Awesome thank you sooo much that helps mo out greatly! my tractor is a little different it’s a MF 50A. I am using solid bar stock 2”x2-1/2” I measured 50-1/2” center pin to center pin with nothing to measure to so I will probably go 51” with your measurements and mine and for the hook end I’m using weld on cat 2 lower hooks inverted. Even if I’m a half inch off either way it won’t matter that much. I did go with 1/2” solid steel bar for the tie down that I am going to dye out one side with threads and weld a 2” piece of U channel to pin on the lower end and torque it down. That should be good to go!!! I appreciate the help my friend. What backhoe do you have the 222? I’m asking because I don’t have the hoe here yet and I have been wondering what the diameter of that top pin was and if yours is a 222 you answered that question as well…..here’s a pic of my beast! And the Hoe! I’m gonna Massey red like the tractor thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_0775.png
    IMG_0775.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0810.jpeg
    IMG_0810.jpeg
    721.8 KB · Views: 8
Measured my Hoe rod and strut.

The threaded rod is 3/4" diameter, fine thread and 24" inch long over all with a yoke on one end. Yoke uses a 3/4" pin. Yoke is rather thick and robust

The strut arm is 55" long over-all but the center to center pin distance measures 51-1/2" inches long .

The strut measures 2-1/8" inches wide and 2-3/4 inches deep. The steel is 3/16ths thick. The front pin is 1" inch diameter and the strut is reinforced (thicker at the front pin point)

There is a claw end on one end of the strut arm where it connects to the Hoe. On my Hoe the pin for the claw is 1-1/2 inches in diameter and is welded integral to the Hoe Frame

There is a Hole for the 3/4" threaded rod to go through the middle of the strut in front of the claw but not close enough to weaken the claw.

Hope this helps.
Thank you

If any of you get to work on your Rotary cylinder on your Massey Hoe; Please look to see if there are any numbers on your seals and spacer rings and then PLEASE SHARE those numbers!

thank you

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back