Massey Disc Mower Blade Sharpness

Bobl1958

I have a new to me Massey Ferguson 1383 pull type rotary disc mower. It is a 2012 model and I bought it last year from a dealer. The dealer changed oils and
installed new blades.
My question is, how long, under normal circumstances will a set of blades last. I cut about 60 acres total of brome and prairie hay with it last year, and
probably will double that this year. I realize it is a loaded question, but some of you with experience probably know the proceedure. I would asssume 2 or 3 years
at that rate, depending on how many gopher mounds, etc a person hits. What are your thoughts? The fields are relatively smooth. Thanks - Bob

I agree that leveling gopher mounds makes all other means of wear insignificant. That is except for the time I mowed a well housing. I never replaced a whole set. I would change them in pairs when they got rounded so that I maintained balance.

Assuming no gopher mounds & fire ant mounds, I think your figure of 2-3 years would be good. Most blades are reversible, just flip them over when they become dull. The soil contact is the main wear factor.

We sharpen our new Holland 7230 blades like bush hog blades, only with the 4 angle grinder.
Use a small vise grip to clamp it and put a new edge on them.
When it's edge gets back there a ways, then we flip them.
If no major probs, maybe two plus seasons.
GG Wes

Hi, Bob. Isn't it great how those rotary headers cut compared to a sickle? Have two sons who have been running MF Hesston edition self-propelled swathers with rotary headers for many years cutting their own hay and doing custom work. I ran one of them for three summers doing mostly custom work cutting everything from alfalfa to 12' tall sorghum-sudan. In my experience prairie hay would dull the the cutting blades faster than about anything else. We would touch up the blades with a 4 grinder between replacements when they became dull. We could usually run an entire season on a set of blades but there were always times when a rock, tree limb, or other object that would be encountered which damaged the blades beyond repair. I have encountered everything from a stack of oil field pipe to a harrow section, to tree limbs and even railroad ties and many wild animals. Once got ahold of some weed barrier material a person had laid down years before along a tree row in a grass meadow and he forgot to mention it to me. In a matter of a couple of seconds it had pulled in probably a hundred feet of that nasty stuff and wrapped it up in the end roller so tight it killed the engine. Took me several hours and hundreds of colorful words before I got that stuff out of the header. The amazing thing about those disk headers is their capacity. Cutting only 60 or so acres a year your blades should easily last 3-4 years if you do a little touch up with a grinder periodically. Also, we never worried much about balance and would only replace both blades at the same time if they were worn excessively. Blades frequently got bent but were able to straighten most cases with a 12-15 crescent wrench. Enjoy your swather.

i have a nh 1431, i sharpen the blades with grinder also, but have never been able to straighten a bent blade with a 18 crestent wrench. i figered they were spring steel

rock are hard on blades. i carry my hf cordless 4 grinder in the tractor with several bolts and blades. we cut lots of acres here. if not in rocks usually every 100 acres a quick shine with grinder is best.less load on gear train

I have a New Holland, I put new knives on every 2 seasons, run one season, flip for 2nd season. I cut 90-100 acres a year

I also touch them up with angle grinder as needed.

Knives are cheap and can be changed in seconds with impact wrench.

I keep decent used knives to use as replacements if one bends badly during season. I've straightened some with vice and wrench as well.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back