Massey Ferguson 1155 Starting problems

Clifton1979

New User
My 1155 will not hit a lick. I have put two hot batteries and a new solenoid on a the starter. All I get is the noise of the solenoid hammering like the batteries are dead. I am picking this thing up out of a field where it sat for 3 years. I cannot get this thing to turn over at all. I took a 3ft pry bar and slid it in between the bolts and the shaft on the front of the engine to the hydraulic pump and could not turn the motor at all. I am going to pull the starter and try to use a pry bar and turn the motor over at the flywheel. Does anyone have any advice as for as something else to look at or try on this critter.
 
That doesn't sound too good, maybe there's a reason it sat in the field for three years! The engine should turn easy with your breaker bar. Hopefully the old owner had the exaust covered up so the cylinders didn't fill up with water. I would start by checking the oil level, then drain it out and see if there's any water or metal particles in the oil. If the oil comes out ok, the next thing I would do is remove the exaust manifolds or drill a small hole in the exaust pipe right off the manifolds to see if they are full of water. Just plug the holes up with sheetmetal screws or rivets. At least this way you can narrow it down to see if the pistons stuck in the cylinders due to rust caused by water getting in, or if the bearings siezed up the last time the old owner ran it. Good luck!
 
Thanks for the help. Supposedly the previous owner had just finished disking and put the tractor up. He passed away a couple of days later and his son has given me the tractor.
 

Well seeing that it was free......

It ain't hitting lick cause it's stuck.

I'd make sure there is no water in the cylinders like you were told. If there is you may try pulling the injectors and trying to turn it over. If no water you can try any number of oils and acitone mixes in the cylinders for a couple of days trying to free em up. But being free if you have the ability you may be ahead just towing it out and rebuilding the engine.

Rick
 
I bought a MF 1155 in Nebraska a couple of years ago and had exactly the same problem. Bought on Ebay, seller said it was parked up as it started to mix the water and oil. Once I had it back to Scotland I tried the same things as you none of which worked. I removed the starter motor to find it was completely siezed up as well as having lots of water inside it. Replaced it with a motor of my MM 705 (Same basic starter motor) still no movement. Removed exhaust manafold to find water in them, removed both cylinder heads to find all 8 cylinders completely rusted up. It was impossible for me to free them off despite lots of pacience and lots of hydrolic pressure. I ended up getting a Perkins 540ci out of a MF 860 combine and fitted that, tractor runs great now but it was lots of work
Bill
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top