Massey Ferguson 232 loader problems

I have a 1995 Massey Ferguson 231 tractor with a 232 front loader on it.
The loader runs off of a hydraulic pump attached to the front of the tractor. It has its own fluid reservoir in the vertical frame of the loader.
It was working fine, I lowered it to the ground, and then it suddenly quit raising or lowering.
It is full of fluid.
I disconnected the hydraulic lines one at a time going to the cylinders that raise and lower the bucket.
When I used the joystick to raise it, or lower it with that line, disconnected, hydraulic fluid flowed out.
However, when everything is connected, it jerks just a little bit, but doesn t move.
Any ideas on where to start would be greatly appreciated.

The drive between the engine crankshaft and the hydraulic pump may have failed (stripped splines, etc.). I would check that first based on your description of what you have done thus far.

I have the same loader on a MF-240-S, that runs off the regular PTO pump. Works OK, just works slow.

Hello Vince welcome to YT! If you have a factory front
pump on your tractor or really any type for that matter
to add a little more detail to what Jim has suggested
you have to carefully look at the shaft of the pump
itself to see if it is turning. Often they are keyed or
splined to the shaft driving them and that connection
strips. If the link takes you to the correct page it is
showing the factory pump setup, in section 148. The connection,
between shaft 6 and the stub shaft on the pump 1
looks splined in this case. So the failed connection
would be difficult to see. It may even require
disassembly to see for sure. I would guess the small
amount of flow you had from the disconnected hose
would have been from friction of the driving shaft
slipping on the pump shaft if that makes sense.
AGCO online parts book

(quoted from post at 14:55:37 03/17/23) Hello Vince welcome to YT! If you have a factory front
pump on your tractor or really any type for that matter
to add a little more detail to what Jim has suggested
you have to carefully look at the shaft of the pump
itself to see if it is turning. Often they are keyed or
splined to the shaft driving them and that connection
strips. If the link takes you to the correct page it is
showing the factory pump setup, in section 148. The connection,
between shaft 6 and the stub shaft on the pump 1
looks splined in this case. So the failed connection
would be difficult to see. It may even require
disassembly to see for sure. I would guess the small
amount of flow you had from the disconnected hose
would have been from friction of the driving shaft
slipping on the pump shaft if that makes sense.
AGCO online parts book
You are correct. It has a shaft coming out of the driveshaft. It is splined and turns the pump. I can see where the shaft goes into the pump, and I can see that the pump is turning. I did not try it while someone was using the joystick to try to raise it. I will try that when it stops raining.
Thanks. I ll post what I find probably Sunday or Monday.

Do you have any function at all? As in, have you tried to roll the bucket back and forth? If the bucket will roll but the arms won't lift then you need to start looking for problems in the cylinders and hoses that lift the arms.

When you unhooked the hose and ran the controls, HOW did oil flow out? Did it gush, blurp or just trickle?

Tie the lever with a tarp strap or other method then look at shaft if still turning look at other issues like valves or hoses ,filters and such. Filter may be in the loader frame.

(quoted from post at 17:52:52 03/17/23) Do you have any function at all? As in, have you tried to roll the bucket back and forth? If the bucket will roll but the arms won't lift then you need to start looking for problems in the cylinders and hoses that lift the arms.

When you unhooked the hose and ran the controls, HOW did oil flow out? Did it gush, blurp or just trickle?

The bucket is not going up or down or tilting up or down. When I disconnected the up and down hoses, fluid gushed out.

(quoted from post at 19:59:29 03/17/23) Tie the lever with a tarp strap or other method then look at shaft if still turning look at other issues like valves or hoses ,filters and such. Filter may be in the loader frame.
I tied it up with a strap. The pump is turning when the valve is in a position to raise the bucket.
Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back