massey harris?????

Jason Mielke

New User
I purchased this tractor 2 years ago and it runs like a top. I want to start slowly restoring it and I'm not sure of year or model. I was woundering if anyone could tell me how to find this out. I know its a massey harris it has a wide front end its a 4 cyl. It also has a sticker of 444 on it but the last 4 is scratched off.
 
Pictures and serial number would sure help its really hard to tell what it is by your description.
Walt

It sounds like MH 44 but don't bet the farm on it.
 
Maybe somebody put 444 tin on a 44, then scratched off the last digit to signify that it was a 44. Might try the Massey board- they could probably ask you the right questions about items that were different between the two to sort out what you have.
 
There were a few reconizable differences between 44's and 444's.Things that the 444's had and the 44's didn't have were vertical chrome strip(stainless) and an emblem with M-H on top at the front.Two range transmission.Tachomoter.Adjustable rear wheels,and panneling between the dash and seat,where as the 44's were open.If it is a 444,it SHOULD be alittle more valuable as thew were only produced for a year and a half untill the merger with Ferguson,unless it is a diesel in that case 44 diesel would be atleast as valuable as a 444 diesel,probbably just as rare,maybe more so.Just my $.02 worth anyways.pd
 
I owned a 444 when I was in High School. The motor was a bronze painted Continental H277. I wanted to over haul it but the compnay that made those kits went out of business. I also rebuilt the hydraulic pump. The problem with that was AGCO replaced the seal in that kit that goes on the driving gear with a cheaper one that constantly blew. On the bright side the moter was contantly suppied with oil. My 444 was a Ferguson cross over equipped with the Ferguson cushion pan seat. It did not have the spring seat like the 44s. On this 444 the operator had to straddle a sheet metal cover that the 3pt control/hydralic lever came up through.
While I was in the process of restoring it I had it sitting in the implement dealer lot that my dad worked at. During that time someone came along and stole the draft control setting off that lever.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top