McCormick No. 25 Potato Planter??

K-Mo

I have a McCormick No. 25 Potato Planter I'm trying to get operational. I'll start with two question for today.

The covering disc down pressure spring free length is about 10". Someone has added about 2" of spacer at the top. Spacer not shown in OM or PM.
1. How long should the covering disc down pressure springs be?

The lift arm (arrow) in the picture is outboard. The Owner's manual shows it inboard.
2. Are my entire covering disc assemblies reversed left and right?
cvphoto18236.jpg

The down pressure depends on the soil , if its sandy loam , the down pressure will be less , if its heavy clay loam it will need to be increased , so hard to say , that's an adjustment you will have to make once you are in the field

That spacer has nothing to do with down pressure. It was put there to raise the covering disc higher when machine is not planting. If the spacer was between the spring and lifting arm it would affect the down pressure.
Loren

The springs in the photo are not compressed and show the spacer plus more space to the cotter key.
The Owner's Manual shows no spacer and no excess lift rod exposed. I'm trying to figure out if the springs are shorter than original or if longer lift rods have been installed.
I am beginning to suspect modifications may have been made to compensate for the reversed (incorrect) installation of the lifting rockshaft assemblies.

cvphoto18300.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back