Mf 165 knock

Benmiller23

New User
I bought a 1965 Massey Ferguson 165 not running. Got it home, found the injector pump was shot. Got it rebuilt, $1100 later I get it put on and fire it up. Sounds gorgeous. Then it started knocking after it ran for a few minutes. At first it sounded like a rod knock so I hopped online and ordered rod and main bearings. Then the other day I went out and started it to move it and got to listening to the knock. It sounds like its in the top end, like something just under the valve cover almost. So anyway maybe some of yall have ideas of what it could be. Might be fuel knock, havent messed w the injector pump(fine tuning it with the slots in the pump itself) but Ive been out of town and havent messed with it any. Thanks in advance

Be sure the 3 pt lift is not at the top. It will make a knocking noise at the top, drop the lever an inch and see if it quits.

Had one knock, was sure it was a rod during the tare down everything looked good and I was kind of sick. When I lifted the crank out the front journal stayed in the block, it was broken in the throw. Put in a reman engine and a few years later dad said it made a lot of noise and started knocking. Thought another crank. When I tore it down it had pulled a sleeve into the pan and two other where moving. Put in new sleeves and it runs great. I thought that since the sleeves were loose I wouldn't hone the cylinders when I put the new sleeves in to get a tighter fit. Just cooled in dry ice and diesel and tried to put one in, no go. I ball honed the cylinders and the new sleeves still went in hard.

Sounds like a headache. Hopefully this one is just a fuel knock or something simple but I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks

Update: tested injectors by capping the line at pump to each injector,
one at a time of course. Still knocking. About to start tearing it down

QUOTE:
Update: tested injectors by "capping the line at pump to each injector," one at a time of course. Still knocking. About to start tearing it down

Good morning....could you please tell us how you CAPPED the above lines?

Thanks Bob...

Hi, you are not alone in that thought. We sold a 165 to a customer back in the late 70s. He complained that it was knocking. He drove it in to us and we soon found that the hydraulics were in Constant Pumping. He was absolutely delighted that it was nothing more and promptly bought my mother a box of chocolates!!!!!!!!
DavidP, South Wales

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back