MF 265 No Fuel to Injectors

zcronk

New User
Greetings,

I am looking for a little confirmation here on what I have going on with my old MF 265 (S/N 9A228205, Perkins Diesel).

A few weeks ago, she started randomly not wanting to start. Trying the tractor again in a couple hours and she'd start. I wasn't sure of what the exact issue is/was however when it wouldn't start, there wasn't any smoke coming from the stack. This told me it was likely a fuel issue so I started with the obvious things first:
  1. Fuel filter replaced
  2. Fuel lift pump replaced
  3. Bleed everything up to the injector pump.
Now, I am at least getting fuel up to the two bleeder ports on the injector pump. Loosening the lines at the injectors, as the manual states, and cranking her over yields no fuel up there.

The question: Is it likely that I have a bad injector pump here?

The part number on the pump is 3241F360 and I called around and shops want $700+ to rebuild it. I see on the store here that I can get one for about $850. Wondering if I should just buy a new one.

When I do replace this (assuming I will, depending on the feedback here), do I need to time it or will it slide right into place? The manuals states that timing is not disturbed by removal and installation of the injection pump; is this only true when removing and reinstalling the existing pump? Or is it true when installing a new pump as well?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer here.
-Z

Last edited:
WHY buy another pump? If the hydraulic head and cam ring are good I can usually repair the original for less, and you won't risk getting a China knock off. There's three pump drive gear bolts to remove, and a pin in the gear locates in the pump drive hub notch for correct timing, using the scribe marks already on the pump flange and timing case pump bolts to.

WHY buy another pump? If the hydraulic head and cam ring are good I can usually repair the original for less, and you won't risk getting a China knock off. There's three pump drive gear bolts to remove, and a pin in the gear locates in the pump drive hub notch for correct timing, using the scribe marks already on the pump flange and timing case pump bolts to.

Thanks for the reply.

How do we go about that (You rebuilding it?)? Cost?

Thanks.

Greetings,

I am looking for a little confirmation here on what I have going on with my old MF 265 (S/N 9A228205, Perkins Diesel).

A few weeks ago, she started randomly not wanting to start. Trying the tractor again in a couple hours and she'd start. I wasn't sure of what the exact issue is/was however when it wouldn't start, there wasn't any smoke coming from the stack. This told me it was likely a fuel issue so I started with the obvious things first:
  1. Fuel filter replaced
  2. Fuel lift pump replaced
  3. Bleed everything up to the injector pump.
Now, I am at least getting fuel up to the two bleeder ports on the injector pump. Loosening the lines at the injectors, as the manual states, and cranking her over yields no fuel up there.

The question: Is it likely that I have a bad injector pump here?

The part number on the pump is 3241F360 and I called around and shops want $700+ to rebuild it. I see on the store here that I can get one for about $850. Wondering if I should just buy a new one.

When I do replace this (assuming I will, depending on the feedback here), do I need to time it or will it slide right into place? The manuals states that timing is not disturbed by removal and installation of the injection pump; is this only true when removing and reinstalling the existing pump? Or is it true when installing a new pump as well?

Thank you in advance for any help you can offer here.
-Z
Do you have the fuel shutoff in the "run" position?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back