Harryaroo

I have a MF 165 gas. When I got it the clutch worked but not the pto. I adjusted at the pedal and it worked for three years. Now nothing disengages when the pedal is depressed. I assumed the clutch was shot and it needs to be split. Someone mentioned to me that something on the clutch-- fingers-- can be adjusted by opening a plate underneath the tractor-- can someone explain how to do this?

(quoted from post at 11:04:57 08/16/23) I have a MF 165 gas. When I got it the clutch worked but not the pto. I adjusted at the pedal and it worked for three years. Now nothing disengages when the pedal is depressed. I assumed the clutch was shot and it needs to be split. Someone mentioned to me that something on the clutch-- fingers-- can be adjusted by opening a plate underneath the tractor-- can someone explain how to do this?

Do you feel the throwout bearing contact the fingers with the proper amount of pedal free play?

They may have been referring to adjusting the bolts the throwout bearing contacts at the ends of the fingers. I had one lose/back off a couple of those bolts and the clutch didn't disengage. You can take a look up through the inspection plate and see if there is a bolt in the end of each finger and if the throwout bearing is contacting them evenly. If free play is right and throwout bearing contact is even, I think you are right on it needing to be split.

By the way Scott Kent relocated to Troy, Maine and is still operating Maine Tractor Crossing as per an email correspondence with him near the end of June this year. Contact info is on his website if you need.

Thank you for the help. It was nice when Scott was just up the road from me-- he is very knowledgeable and helpful. I'll check out his website. I thought he was done with parts...

(quoted from post at 12:21:48 08/16/23) Thank you for the help. It was nice when Scott was just up the road from me-- he is very knowledgeable and helpful. I'll check out his website. I thought he was done with parts...

From our correspondence he scaled back some with the move.

Keep us post on what you find with your clutch.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back