MF 231, New Owner

428Bird

New User
Hello all. My name is Britt and I am the proud new owner of a 1996 MF 231 with the 232 loader. This is my first tractor, though I'm not new to them. I grew up on a 1983 245 - then graduated up to a 265, and a 2675 (all my grandfathers tractors). This is my first tractor that I've owned myself.

The tractor had 1500 odd hours on the tach and there is no rust to speak of. It was barn kept by the original owner, and runs great. I even have the PTO cover and all the original manuals. There are a few issues however that I'd like to ask about.

1. This tractor doesn't have an aux hydraulic pump - I have to use the TS-300 diverter valve to switch between the 3 point, and the FEL. [b:486ea23e0f]Two questions: A. The diverter valve leaks, are rebuild kits available? B. Is it common to not be able to lift the bucket and curl at the same time?[/b:486ea23e0f]

2. The MF-232 FEL is of the quick connect type. I was going to pull it today but found halfway through removal that the hoses aren't long enough. I was considering having extensions made that would run between the remote connection (the quick connects), and the lines themselves. [b:486ea23e0f]Can you run two quick connects per line without worrying about leaks?[/b:486ea23e0f]

3. The headlight switch is toast. [b:486ea23e0f]Does anyone sell a reproduction, or one that will work? I tried Amazon, and the one they sent was complete trash.[/b:486ea23e0f]

4. The FEL controller is the joystick type which I absolutely hate. It also sticks and is hard to operate, but does not leak or leak down. It looks as if the joystick interface is an adapter plate bolted to the valve body with four allen cap screws. [b:486ea23e0f]Can I adapt this plate to use the traditional two lever, or do I need a new valve body all together? I've got shoulder issues that make the dump/retract function hard to accomplish.[/b:486ea23e0f]

5. The brakes are gosh awful. [b:486ea23e0f]Are there any worthwhile modifications that I can look into?[/b:486ea23e0f]

I know this is a Polish discount tractor, but it looks and sounds like a MF and so far I'm very happy with the purchase. If I can make it better, I'd like to.

Thanks!

Britt Bettell
Houston, Texas

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back