MF 235 Power Steering

Andy Martin

Well-known Member
Started with P.S. pump leaking into crankcase. Replaced seal, pump looks good, now steering locks to left and makes noises from the gearbox. This is power steering with everything in the gearbox, no external cylinder. Took the gearbox apart and the upper thrust bearing was destroyed. Also, the center of the casting between the thrust bearings (right above the cylinder) was broken out.

Can I just put a manual steering gear on it? I see YT has them for $613. From all I read spending the money to replace all teh broken parts may not last long anyway.
 
You can convert to manual steering easy with the manual box. My brother rebuilt the manual steering box on his 135, he has about the same amount of money in parts than what the complete, ready to go steering box sells for.
 
OK, thanks! So we are sure the manual box will fit right in where the powers steering box mounts on a diesel 235?
 
(quoted from post at 04:36:15 07/14/17) OK, thanks! So we are sure the manual box will fit right in where the powers steering box mounts on a diesel 235?


I've done the same swap myself, the only difference is you will have some extra leftover parts from the power steering system. You can also get a plate, or make a plate to block the off the hole where the ps pump went.
 
I've done the same swap myself, the only difference is you will have some extra leftover parts from the power steering system. You can also get a plate, or make a plate to block the off the hole where the ps pump went.

I have the new manual steering and close to mounting. Did you all have to order new pitman arms for it to fit the manual? Also, the manual steer sits lower where the gear shift comes through. How did you modify those so it would fit? Is there a kit for a riser?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top