mf 3165 hydraulics

I bought a MF 3165 that the 3pt arms don't lift. I changed hydraulic oil, the old oil had some water in it. Would like some advice in how to proceed with troubleshooting this.

(quoted from post at 14:26:19 11/13/22) I bought a MF 3165 that the 3pt arms don't lift. I changed hydraulic oil, the old oil had some water in it. Would like some advice in how to proceed with troubleshooting this.
ts most likely your lift cylinder piston rings are leaking fluid past them. if its not that, when you take top cover off you can investigate your pump or whatever is causing your issue better. there is a filter down in there that is most likely filthy as heck especially if your old fluid was milky. i have purchased two 3165 tractors in the last 7 years and one is a gas engine with front loader and the other is a diesel engine that was most likely stripped of its front loader cuz i think most of the industrial tractors had loaders and some were loader/backhoes, either way both of them had milky fluid when checking things out. the gas tractor we have had longer and i have had the top cover off and have re-done the rings on that piston along with that filter on the pump down in the case. so thats how i know that filter is most likely filthy on yours. our diesel tractor lift arms are still lifting so i assume the piston rings are ok on that one but i do need to take that top cover off to access that filter down in there cuz im sure its filthy. but we havnt been using that tractor cuz it needs engine maintenance.

It is possible that the control valve in the pump is stuck in the down position. You can access it through the round cover by your right heel as you sit on the tractor. Remember to drain the oil down some before you take the cover off.

mvphoto99446.jpg

This is your pump down inside the case. The arrow is pointing at the filter that I'm sure is filthy as all get out and could be restricting your fluid flow to lift arms cylinder. The other thing I circled is the control lever that moves when you move your 3pt lift arms lever next to seat. Another thing could be that your linkage from outside lever next to seat to the lever on pump is disconnected. And like I said above, top cover will need to come off to repair that. But there is an important piece that you have to take out from right side cover (I believe) before you can remove the top cover. It's the piece that actually connects the linkage between draft/position control lever and pump lever. Your gonna need a shop manual to do things in order. There are also some o-rings down in there on the stand pipe that the hydraulic fluid flows threw to the cylinder that could be leaking fluid pressure not allowing arms to lift. Honestly there are a few things that could be your problem. But a shop manual will assist alot with your issue....

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back