Mf 35 Hydraulic Pump

rrward266

New User
I have a MF 35 SNM: 214597. It is a custom deluxe. Diesel and power steering. Can anyone tell me from the serial number if I have a 2000 psi or 2500 psi hydraulic pump? The lift raises slow on my tractor. Picks weight up fine, but does it slow. Changed the fluid and there was not a filter. Old fluid looked good. It operates the same even when tractor is warmed up. I want to do something about the pump but need to determine which psi it is first. I have read about upgrading to top to use the higher psi pump. But not the easiest thing to find in my area. Would greatly appreciate any knowledgeable input. Thanks in advance

I have a MF 35 SNM: 214597. It is a custom deluxe. Diesel and power steering. Can anyone tell me from the serial number if I have a 2000 psi or 2500 psi hydraulic pump? The lift raises slow on my tractor. Picks weight up fine, but does it slow. Changed the fluid and there was not a filter. Old fluid looked good. It operates the same even when tractor is warmed up. I want to do something about the pump but need to determine which psi it is first. I have read about upgrading to top to use the higher psi pump. But not the easiest thing to find in my area. Would greatly appreciate any knowledgeable input. Thanks in advance
You started out asking about this by tagging on to an old post on the Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson Forum. Wednesday you posted a new thread here, on the Harry Ferguson Forum, with a title of TO 35 lift raises slow, calling it "a to 35 SNM 214597". Not good on the title and using wrong info can confuse things. Now you have started another new thread of your own titled MF 35 Hydraulic Pump, which is good. You should use the "Contact Us" button and ask a moderator to move this thread to the Massey Harris & Masey Ferguson Forum, just to keep it in the brand where it belongs.

I am trying to help you get the info you need. Jumping around and incorrect titling won't help. Answers may not come immediately, stay on one forum and be patient. You can get your thread to move up, if there are no replies after a couple days, by posting what you have tried for repairs to it since you last post.

Do you have the Massey Ferguson service manual for the MF35? According to the manual (MF publication # 1448 811 M1) I have, serial number 169555 was the last tractor with the 2000 psi system. The manual also gives other details related to the change. Below is the first page of the hydraulic section and shows the difference in the 2000 psi and 2500 psi pressure relief valves.

valve.jpg

A service manual is a must to have....!
a269515.jpg
DSCN9670.JPG
DSCN9673.JPG

Jimme, Being new I wasn’t aware of all you said. While reading I found where other people had posted that way so that is what I done. I have checked the stem on the tractor and orings are good on it. Yes I have a service manual. After reading there I see the pressure relief valve could be the problem. I found the how to identify valve pic but haven’t pulled side cover. That’s next on my agenda. I looked at my top cover yesterday and it looks pretty beefy to me. But then I don’t have the other to compare it too. Did they make 1961 with 2000psi pump? Based on some stuff I’ve read 1959 was the last year of that. I would gladly buy a new pump no more expensive than they are if I knew for sure about my top cover.

Jimme, Being new I wasn’t aware of all you said. While reading I found where other people had posted that way so that is what I done. I have checked the stem on the tractor and orings are good on it. Yes I have a service manual. After reading there I see the pressure relief valve could be the problem. I found the how to identify valve pic but haven’t pulled side cover. That’s next on my agenda. I looked at my top cover yesterday and it looks pretty beefy to me. But then I don’t have the other to compare it too. Did they make 1961 with 2000psi pump? Based on some stuff I’ve read 1959 was the last year of that. I would gladly buy a new pump no more expensive than they are if I knew for sure about my top cover.
As I posted, "According to the manual (MF publication # 1448 811 M1) I have, serial number 169555 was the last tractor with the 2000 psi system."

You posted your serial number as 214597, which places it being built well after s/n 169555, so yours should be, and likely is, the 2500 psi system with the heavy cover. Based on serial number, I would expect your tractor is correct for the 2500 psi system. Can I or anyone else tell you, with 100% certainty, it does not have a 2000 psi pump or valve in it currently? I don't think we can, since it is possible it has been changed in the 63 years since it was built, and sometimes incorrect parts get used during replacements. You should look at the pressure relief valve to confirm which it has, then move to a pressure check. A couple things that give slow lift are bad piston seals or other leak in the lift system. Does it hold once the load is up? Reduced pump flow volume from a worn pump can cause slow lifting.

Do you have the Massey Ferguson manual (or copy of it) or do you have something like an I&T manual, which may not have all the info that is in the MF manual?

I have a copy of the MF manual. Your information helps a lot. I got this tractor off the man who bought it new. He said the lift got slow over time but still worked so he didn’t mess with it. He is an honest man. I’m going to check the pressure relief valve to be sure but based on your info and upon inspection of the top cylinder yesterday I’m betting it’s 2500. If this is the case makes it much easier to put a new pump in. The man I got it from was a stickler on changing fluids regularly. When I drained the transmission it was nice and clean. Tractor stored inside since new so no water or rust. Everything is great on it. Just irritating with the lift raising slow. But between the Mf manual and good folks like you I will get it figured out. I just received a gauge yesterday. I’m going to check the pressure on it today. Thank you very much for your help!

I have a copy of the MF manual. Your information helps a lot. I got this tractor off the man who bought it new. He said the lift got slow over time but still worked so he didn’t mess with it. He is an honest man. I’m going to check the pressure relief valve to be sure but based on your info and upon inspection of the top cylinder yesterday I’m betting it’s 2500. If this is the case makes it much easier to put a new pump in. The man I got it from was a stickler on changing fluids regularly. When I drained the transmission it was nice and clean. Tractor stored inside since new so no water or rust. Everything is great on it. Just irritating with the lift raising slow. But between the Mf manual and good folks like you I will get it figured out. I just received a gauge yesterday. I’m going to check the pressure on it today. Thank you very much for your help!
So, you have history from the original owner. His having it since new, and not replacing the pump or valve, increases the odds of the 2500 psi system being in place. If there are no leaks and the pressure is close it is likely a worn pump.

Cover removal from my 1963 MF 35. Owned since new..Replaced
DSCN9682.JPG
DSCN9235 (2).JPG
pump..

Attachments

• DSCN9611 (2).JPG
    DSCN9611 (2).JPG
    3 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9236 - Copy.JPG
    DSCN9236 - Copy.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • DSCN9243.JPG
    DSCN9243.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 9
  • DSCN9242.JPG
    DSCN9242.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 11
  • DSCN9241.JPG
    DSCN9241.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 16
  • a164179.jpg
    a164179.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 12
  • a164178.jpg
    a164178.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 12
Several years back I replaced a strainer in the transmission of my MF 35. Seems like it was inside the left cover plate? I don't recall a lot of details.

It was pretty well lugged. Replacing it made a significant difference.

Jim.me I totally understand what you are saying about the serial number. But I’m also reading the thin cover is 7/8 thick in the front and the thick cover is 1 1/8” thick. My health has been bad and I haven’t been able to do anything to the tractor. But I did make it out to measure that thickness. Mine is 7/8”. Have you heard of this before? Also do you know if a 165 or a 175 cover will work on mine? Upon looking at new top covers their listings include both those tractor’s. But I don’t trust the new covers they advertise coming from overseas. I’d prefer to use a used one. Especially if I already may have one. At which point I’d just go ahead and put the higher pressure pump in with no worries. I really appreciate everyone’s help!

Jim.me I totally understand what you are saying about the serial number. But I’m also reading the thin cover is 7/8 thick in the front and the thick cover is 1 1/8” thick. My health has been bad and I haven’t been able to do anything to the tractor. But I did make it out to measure that thickness. Mine is 7/8”. Have you heard of this before? Also do you know if a 165 or a 175 cover will work on mine? Upon looking at new top covers their listings include both those tractor’s. But I don’t trust the new covers they advertise coming from overseas. I’d prefer to use a used one. Especially if I already may have one. At which point I’d just go ahead and put the higher pressure pump in with no worries. I really appreciate everyone’s help!
I do not have any knowledge of the cover thickness. There is no mention of such in the description of the two covers shown in the MF 35 parts book online. There is a serial number break for the two covers. Serial number 232850 and up used cover 190861M2. Prior to serial number 232850 the part number used was 184392M92. Prior to serial number 232850 is well beyond the change to the 2500 psi system the manual mentions at serial number 169555. The manual tells of the 2500 psi cylinder being changed to a larger diameter, but you need to have the cover up to tell that. Cover 190861M2 shows as used on the 165 and gives a 7/8" front dimension for identification. As so far no one has answered your question on cover thickness, you might try calling one of the PartsASAP yards and see what they have for used covers that are for the 2500 psi system.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back