MF 40 stuck in forward

Densdale

New User
Recent purchase. Everything seemed to work as it should. This has the manual shuttle shift for reverse and forward.
Moved it to a small stump, hooked a chain to the loader to see if I could get it to move any at all, tried to put it in reverse and it is stuck in forward. The shuttle shift appears to be in reverse but when you release the clutch you move forward.
I saw a post that talked about opening the filler cap and pry the shifters forward and/or backward to release the gears.
Any ideas? Does the prying seem appropriate?
Thank you.

Hello Den welcome to YT! I am not an MF guy but ran a few in my days on the farm. In the link is the AGCO online parts catalog for a 40B tractor, I have no idea if that is what you have they also show a 40E in their list. I would guess the 1st thing to check would be to see if something came ..unhinged.. from part 30 in section 43. Section 44 is the gears for the manual shuttle trans. I am viewing this on a phone, helpful to know that ..Table of Contents.. will always take you back to the main list of sections.
AGCO MF 40B online parts catalog

Same thing happened to my MF35, which has a lot in common with the MF40. The shifter is likely stuck between the sliders for the shifters. You can use a pry bar through the fill hole and you [i:5bdf3108e0]may [/i:5bdf3108e0] be able to slide it free. You can also try jiggling the shifter while rocking the tractor back and forth.

It did not work for me, and I wound up having to pull the steering column assembly (and replace the steering shaft bearings . . .ugh).

It is very likely operator error (it was for me). Be careful and methodical when you shift - it isn't a Mustang

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back