MF 50 shaking and running rough

Landon531

New User
I have a 1962 mf 50 4 cylinder gas continental. The other day it was running just fine and bush hogged for 8 hours no problems. Then it blew a tire and I had a guy come out and replace and fill new tire. Ran fine that day. The very next day I went to move hay and it wouldn't start. Finally did and ran very rough and died under power. Found a plug wire broke and shocking me. Went ahead and did some updates and changed all plug wires. Cleaned points of distributor. Cleaned and readjusted carb idle needle out 1 turn larger needle out 2.25 turns. Finally got it to start and it idled fine. Increase power and it choked out so I readjusted larger needle and no pRobles powering up. Go to put in gear and it runs very rough while the whole tractor shakes violently and sputters. Not enough power to do anything. Verified firing order of 1,3,4,2. Any help?
 
First thing I would do is replace points and condensor.Filing points does not always work and make sure point gap is correct as it affects timing.Scott
 

No didn't drop any plugs. They are all brand new. The plug wires are copper core.

I did purchase a condenser, point and rotor today. When the monsoon quits I'll get them on and a distributor cap also.
 

Make sure you got the right wire to the right plug. Get one out of sequence and it'll do just what you describe.
 

Thanks for all the help. This distributor and coil is so old that the rotor keys aren't the same. Changed the condenser and adjusted the rotor for connection to top post and runs like a champ. Believe better than before it messed up. Finally got all the hay moved now for winter and should be good.

On another note. How hard would it be to mount a fel on this tractor. Currently only have 3 point. [/img]
 
(quoted from post at 19:27:22 09/25/18)


On another note. How hard would it be to mount a fel on this tractor. Currently only have 3 point. [/img]

It's not hard if you can find a loader made for it. The question is what do you want to do with it? I can't recall if that model has power steering, but if it doesn't I wouldn't bother with a loader. I've run loaders on non power steering tractors and it's no fun at all.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top