MF165 Diesel running hot

Brokengun

I have a MF 165 Diesel running hot. I checked the temperature gauge with a thermometer and the readings are the same..
I realized the radiator was not getting circulation; So i replaced the thermostat and ran some radiator cleaner through the radiator to clean it out.

I still had the same issue. Since a circulation problem is normally a sign of a Plugged radiator; I replaced the radiator.

I still have the same issue. The only thing left is the Water Pump. But i have never had a water pump impeller go bad that wasn't leaking or had a bearing issue. Water pump seems fine.

When this whole thing started it was running fine and got hot under heavy use. Normally I would be a lose Fan Belt or a stuck thermostat.

Any one here have a similar issue with water pump

I have a MF 165 Diesel running hot. I checked the temperature gauge with a thermometer and the readings are the same..
I realized the radiator was not getting circulation; So i replaced the thermostat and ran some radiator cleaner through the radiator to clean it out.

I still had the same issue. Since a circulation problem is normally a sign of a Plugged radiator; I replaced the radiator.

I still have the same issue. The only thing left is the Water Pump. But i have never had a water pump impeller go bad that wasn't leaking or had a bearing issue. Water pump seems fine.

When this whole thing started it was running fine and got hot under heavy use. Normally I would be a lose Fan Belt or a stuck thermostat.

Any one here have a similar issue with water pump
Impellers can fail, and the bearing and seal still be ok. You could have build up inside the block. Is it blowing coolant out the overflow, a head gasket could be failing.

What is the history of the tractor? One you have had, and this just happened? Temperature has been creeping up over time? New to you?

Jim.ME Thank You for your reply. And your questions.

I have owned this ole tractor for a long time.

[Your question concerning a Pressure Problem caused by a faulty head gasket is a good one]

I don t have coolant overflowing nor do i have a pressure problem, that would be caused by a head gasket issue.

The temperature hasn't been climbing over time, it just started all at once like a stuck thermostat would cause.

I have had bad impeller issues on other tractors but the water pumps had failed.

I have NO circulation. I have drained the water from the radiator and the water coming from the bottom of the radiator is cool compared to the top of the radiator

Jim.ME Thank You for your reply. And your questions.

I have owned this ole tractor for a long time.

[Your question concerning a Pressure Problem caused by a faulty head gasket is a good one]

I don t have coolant overflowing nor do i have a pressure problem, that would be caused by a head gasket issue.

The temperature hasn't been climbing over time, it just started all at once like a stuck thermostat would cause.

I have had bad impeller issues on other tractors but the water pumps had failed.

I have NO circulation. I have drained the water from the radiator and the water coming from the bottom of the radiator is cool compared to the top of the radiator
I would check the water pump; you have been most other places. I know of some JDs that had impeller issues and the pumps weren't loose or leaking.

Up-date on over-heating problem.

I did not pull anything apart until I had parts on hand.

I have turned a wrench for over 50 years but What I found is something new to me.

The shaft for the impeller was twisted off or rusted off. The impeller was laying in its cavity with a piece of the shaft stuck in the impeller.

Bearing and seal were fine. Housing for the Water pump is fine, Pulley is fine.

No evidence of binding.

Up-date on over-heating problem.

I did not pull anything apart until I had parts on hand.

I have turned a wrench for over 50 years but What I found is something new to me.

The shaft for the impeller was twisted off or rusted off. The impeller was laying in its cavity with a piece of the shaft stuck in the impeller.

Bearing and seal were fine. Housing for the Water pump is fine, Pulley is fine.

No evidence of binding.
I have never seen a water pump impellor go bad in all my years also, you proved it can happen.
Glad you got the problem solved.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back