MF165 Engaging PTO Problem

ivj90

New User
Hello,

I've recently purchased my first tractor, a 1972 Massey 165. It has a few issues but the one that bothers me the most is the engagement of the PTO.

Simply said, I cannot engage PTO without pushing the lever through some serious grind, it feels as if the clutch does not disengage when I'm attempting to move the lever backwards (ENGINE PTO). Clutch pedal is depressed to the footrest and I feel the 2 stages of resistance.

When I eventually get the thing to spin by pushing through the grind (sounds horrible), it will stop once I depress the clutch. So that tells me clutch is disengaging the pto?

Want to also point out, that I do have some grind when shifting gears from neutral, also sounds like the clutch is not disengaging properly at times. I understand these are non-synchro transmissions but the grind is definitely more than what it should be. When I eventually get into any gear (1, 2, 3 or R) I can shift between either without any grind as long as I keep my foot on the clutch pedal. Saying that, the grind is much less and I can still shift if needed. The PTO physically doesn't allow me to do it unless I force it. Not sure if it is relevant to the PTO problem.

Things I would like to point out.

1. Rear main is leaking as I have oil around my inspection plate
2. There is a clunk sound coming from the transmission or back of the tractor (cannot confirm), sounds like something is loose and banging metal on metal. It is not too loud but you can definitely hear it.

Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I tried linking to a dropbox video of the tractor running but the forum won't let me. If anyone can advise how this can be done please let me know.

This post was edited by ivj90 on 03/28/2022 at 01:42 am.

Not always, but in many cases new users have to have 5 or more posts on record before the site lets them post pictures (or links), due to site spam filters. Another option is to go down to the Site Comments Forum and ask YT Support for permission to post prior to that. You can try going down to the Test Forum and making several posts there to get your post count up, trying to attach your pictures to each post. That may work after you make several posts. Then make your post here again. It may not work immediately after you get past the 5 posts, if not, you might try logging out and back in at that point. There is a size limit as well, I think it is a total of 7mb per post (be it one picture or the total of several). Some pictures (often taken with phones), are too large and have to be reduced before they will post.

Do you have the Operator's and Service Manuals? How is the clutch pedal free play?

I have adjusted the linkage to what I believe is the spec. There is around 1/4 to 1/8 freeplay between release arm stop and transmission housing (you can see it in the video).

Clutch does release as the PTO stops when I depress the clutch pedal. I just cannot get to engage freely unless I force it through the grind.

Where are you located? There are things in your video that look like this may be a Great Britian 165, which has some differences from the 165s in the States. I am wondering if the rod should be in the forward hole of the lever on the clutch shaft. They had two holes in the US ones for comfort when not using the PTO. For PTO use the rod was moved to the hole that raised the pedal to the highest position of the two locations. When not using the PTO the pedal could be in the hole that allowed the pedal to be at the lower height, so the operator didn't need to lift his foot as high to shift gears in the transmission It only operated the transmission clutch properly in the lower position). I can not tell on yours which hole is right without seeing the entire hook up, pedal to bell housing shaft. Looking at the parts book for the 165GB it looks like it should be in the forward hole.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 03/28/2022 at 03:41 am.

I'm located in Australia. Not sure what versions were imported here. As you said, I think that adjustment is only for the comfort of the pedal height. I ended using that hole as it lowered the pedal closer to the floor, found it easier to use the pedal.

I am fairly sure your 165 is a Great Britian unit. The lower hole is more comfortable when not using the PTO, but with the pedal set in that position you are not able to fully release the PTO stage of the dual clutch. Try it in the other hole when using the PTO.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 03/28/2022 at 04:09 am.

Go up through the lower inspection plate and set all three PTO release bolts gap to .080 inch. Now set the clutch rod arm gap to 1/8 inch. Now the PTO should release
within 1 inch of the step plate, if it stops and STARTS AGAIN with pedal on the plate, INCREASE the rod arm gap as the release bearing is traveling too far and levers are
making contact with the PTO hub rivets. If the PTO still won't stop by the pedal, the PTO pressure plate MAY be cracked, I had that happen on a 265 model once. Tractor
needed split for clutch repair on that one.

In his video it appears the clutch linkage is in the wrong hole for PTO use, and he said he put it in the lower pedal position for comfort. Shouldn't he put it in the other position and try it before adjusting the clutch itself?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back