MF243 Running then Shuts off

wdills

New User
Hi folks. I'm new to the forum. Got a MF243 that started giving problems a few weeks ago. I can't figure it out, so I am hoping for some guidance.

The tractor will start and run just fine. Then for no apparent reason it will shut off at seemingly random times. When it shuts off it won't restart for a few hours and sometimes a few days. But when it does start back up it runs fine.

So far I have replaced the fuel filter which I thought was the problem because it was full of rust and crud. I have verified that even when it won't start the fuel shutoff solenoid seems to be working fine. It is not shorted or open and I can hear it click when I turn the key on. I have also cracked the line to each injector, one at a time to verify all the injectors are working properly. Each injector cause a similar change to the way the engine runs.

I have verified that when it shuts off the fuel bowl below the filter is still full.

One thing that I noticed the last time it started after shutting off was that it didn't start easily like during a normal start. It sputtered a bit like just one cylinder was firing right at first. On the second crank attempt it fired up and smoothed right out.

All help will be much appreciated.

Several possibilities. 1 The wire to your fuel shutoff gets shorted or open from a poor connection or rubbed a bare spot in insulation. 2 air leak in a return line so it loses prime(air in system) 3 fuel cap vent plugged. 4 Possibly a weak or bad low pressure pump whether it is separate from the injection pump or not I can't say. 5 dirt or something floating in tank.

When a pump is getting worn out it won't generate as much pressure as it is supposed to and is needed to atomize the fuel. Cold fuel is thicker and will work OK. I had one that would not start when hot. I carried a gallon jug of water with my in my truck, NOT COLD, NOT COLD water. If I needed to shut off and restart in less than two hours, I would run the water over the pump and it would start right up. I got it rebuilt and now it starts great cold or hot.

Hmm, rust and crud in the filter. How does rust get into a fuel filter, fuel doesn't rust. I had a 245D do that a few years ago, the fuel filter looked like it had been pumping sewage :-( I found out that the small brass screen in the tank shutoff elbow was completely covered in tiny rust particles from the inside of the tank :-( Cleaned the screen and it fired right up and has since. I'm contemplating dropping a small magnet in the tank to collect those particles before I have to fix or replace the tank. Good luck with it!

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back