MH 44 Repower

Hi Everyone! I m new to the board but have farmed and been around tractors my whole life.

Recently I got an idea to repower a MH 44 with a 4.0L (242 CID) straight 6 out of an old Jeep I have.

My dad bought the Massey 40ish years ago when it was on its way to the scrap yard and saved it from the crusher because it had broken manifold and the engine was seized...it has sat in a hedgerow untouched since then. The body on my old Cherokee finally gave out but the motor runs strong so I figure make 2 pieces of garbage into one. I understand that it is going to be a project, but I was hoping for insight from others who may have repowered a 44 before.

I know I ll need to weld in motor mounts, I plan to use the MH flywheel, clutch, and bellhousing. My wife is a machinist so I can have any parts and adaptor plates I need made or modified for free minus the cost of materials.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to your input and advice.

Might be easier to use the Jeep clutch and bell housing...then just take the input
shaft from its trans and connect it to the tractors trans input.

Ben

I have thought about using the Jeep bellhousing but it puts the starter on the right hand side and might Cause clearance issues with the behlen power steering unit.

I am looking into a governor the tractor might be used to run augers from time to time but will mostly pull wagons around the farm.

I?m looking to use the Jeep engine because I have it so it?s free and runs like a top.

Thanks for all the input guys I can?t wait for more.

I do have a belt driven governor off of a Chevy 292 out of a John Deere 4400 combine...with correct placement and pulleys and possibly modified linkage it should work on a throttle body very similarly to a carburetor right?

(quoted from post at 22:11:15 03/06/20) I do have a belt driven governor off of a Chevy 292 out of a John Deere 4400 combine...with correct placement and pulleys and possibly modified linkage it should work on a throttle body very similarly to a carburetor right?

It should work just like it would (if not better with efi) than if it had a carburetor.

Most governed gas tractors have the carb throttle plate offset, so air/fuel will open the plate wide open if the control rod is removed, governor moves the plate toward idle. I had a 455 Olds in a Cockshutt 570 years ago, and could not get the governor to work right until I replaced the auto carb with a two barrel Stromberg from a GMC 401 V6 from a New Idea Uni mule as that engine was governed. Worked fine after that carb change..

Funny I just put in my head the
other day I want to put a 4
cylinder perkins in a 44 like a
236! I grew up on gas engines
mostly, they seemed to run fine
till you really needed them then
have some little issue and
couldn't run or ran half arsed!

After doing some more research on the old google I have heard some people are using the cruise control system as a makeshift governor on auto engines being used in tractors...seems simpler than trying to adapt the governor and throttle body to each other.

David what motor do you have in your 44 and what did you do for a governor...is yours for pulling or farm work? Mine will hopefully see some light farm work

mvphoto50733.jpg

mvphoto50734.jpg

mvphoto50735.jpg

mvphoto50736.jpg

mvphoto50737.jpg

mvphoto50738.jpg

These are the tractor and Jeep in question...hopefully by next winter we will have the motor running in the chassis

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back