Michelin tire question??

Geo-TH,In

I need new tires for my Cadillac, XT5
235/65R18
The original tires were 55K tires Top Performance tires which are in short supply at the Tire barn,

They have LTX 70k tires.

My major concern is ride and tire noise.

Should I put original tires on the car or truck tires?

Cost wise, the LTX tires are a few bucks cheaper and longer lasting tires.

Opinions?

go back with tires that came on car...My wife has drove Cadillac for years when we have to replace tires I always try to go back with factory tire...one time tire was not made anymore and I had to put different tires on it...I was not happy with new different tires...traded car shortly after

I think the 'LTX' tires you're asking about are the Michelin Defender LTX tires. We put those on our 2018 Acadia and they've held up well. Right now they have about 65K on them and I think we'll get another 10K. They seem to do well in the snow and they ride fairly well. But they do seem to be a bit noisier than the original equipment Goodyears. Unless a bit of tire noise bugs you, they should be a good choice. There's no vibration, mind you, just some noise.

Mark,
I will only buy Michelin tires. My 2005 Buick came with Goodyears. I didn't like them. Replaced them with Michelins.
The LTX tire has a longer warranty and I think the same tread pattern.

I've been a believer in Michelins for many years, never had a problem with one.

Just put a set of Defenders on my '13 Slverado. I know it needs ball joints, so it road walks a bit, not the tires fault. Balanced well, no noise.

I am not real fond of factory tires. Things may have changed but in years past they were very undesirable.

I bet you will be fine as long as they are Michelins. I have Michelin X ice snow tires on my little car. I run them all year long and so far they seem to be the best tires and longest lasting of all the tires that have been tried.

> I will only buy Michelin tires. My 2005 Buick came with Goodyears. I didn't like them. Replaced them with Michelins. The LTX tire has a longer warranty and I think the same tread pattern.

I've been partial to Michelins for over fifty years. But I haven't been real happy with the Michelin LTX AT/2s I put on my 2500HD Silverado. They've always vibrated a bit; I went back to the dealer and they re-balanced them, which helped but didn't fix the problem. It looks like I'll only get about 40K out of them, even though they're supposed to be a 60K tire. But these are the first Michelins I've owned with which I've been less than 100 percent satisfied.

> go back with tires that came on car...My wife has drove Cadillac for years when we have to replace tires I always try to go back with factory tire...one time tire was not made anymore and I had to put different tires on it...I was not happy with new different tires...traded car shortly after

Cadillac always puts premium tires on its cars. You can sometimes save a fair chunk of change with a cheaper tire without giving much up. Our 1992 Seville came with very expensive Michelins; when it came time to replace them we switched to a cheaper Michelin and they were fine. The next set of tires were Continentals, and those were fine as well.

George: THE TIRE RACK Just North of you at South Bend. Right on the turnpike. They have no less than ten (10) different styles of Michelin tires in your size. All in stock. You can drive up there and have them mounted right there. Takes about a half hour. I stop there every time I need tires although now I think they want you to make an appointment due to you know what.

The Michelin website does not list a "Top Performance" tire for your XT5.

but they do list nine recommendations.
The Primacy Tour A/S is listed for those that desire
"The perfect match to get the relaxing driving experience you expect from your premium vehicle."

$225msrp

$1035 a set,
Delivered to installer, out the door total with two year road hazard.

Via tirerack to Tire Barn in Terre Haute on US 41

This post was edited by DoubleO7 on 02/01/2022 at 07:05 am.

George, asking about tire brands is similar to what oil or spark plugs are best THERE ARE TONS OF DIFFERENT OPINIONS and each one is correct for darn sure, just ask them lol. Ive used Michelins as well as a ton of other brands over nearly sixty years and many different vehicles (cars trucks tractors RV's). Its my OPINION Michelin are good quality AS WELL AS MANY OTHER TIRE BRANDS and they have great marketing and advertising as well.

That being said last time I needed tires for the RV I researched and in my size found Michelin, Firestone, Toyo, Goodyear, Bridgestone plus a couple other brands IN SAME SIZE AND LOAD RANGE E AND PLY RATING were load rated at around 2500 lbs while the brand I chose was 3195 THATS A HUGE DIFFERENCE so I chose the brand rated at 3195...Was NOT Michelin

There's lots of brands and choices out there and to each their own opinions and tire choices

Best wishes good neighbor, Im confident you will make the best choice based on YOUR needs and driving habits instead of mine lol

John T

Michelin had a recall on tires a few years ago. I got six tires replaced on my motorhome for free. Might check yours. Stan

Like I've heard, a difference of opinion is what makes a horse race.

Our Lincoln MKX had Michelin's on it when we bought it. They were so noisy I took them off and put Coopers on. But, they're 20 tires and yours are 18 so that could make a difference.

I have a Buick with 20 inch tires. I put Bridgestone on it when the Michelin wore out. Michelin tires are softer than others and don't seem to wear as long.

First off I can't believe you'd own something that fancy.

Second off you couldn't pay me to own a set of Michecracks. I replaced the factory Bridgestones on my 2015 Chevy with the same factory Bridgestones twice. Tried to get them again but nobody had any, so I went with Coopers. No complaints with the Bridgestones or the Coopers. Great traction in snow. The Bridgestones lasted about 40K miles but it was a good tradeoff for cost and good winter traction.

I have purchased used vehicles that have had michelins on. Never had any problems with michelins. The only reason I don't put michelins back on once they're wore out, my local tire store don't carry them.
As for altering type of tire or size, a vote here for staying with what came on the car when new.

Ha-Ha... I did the EXACT same thing in 2005. One Saturday I sat in the stands at the Indy Raceway and watched 14 F-1 Michelin shod cars park in their garages for the rest of the day as SiX Bridgestone shod cars took the green flag at the start of the race, Micheal Schumacher won for Ferrari.
Following Saturday I stop in at my Volvo dealer since I was in the neighborhood and discover to my HORROR my new S40 had Michelin tires on it. I hunted up the sales girl and told her those tires absolutely had to be changed, anything other than Michelin, maybe even a (heaven forbid) Goodyear.
I let the dealer sit on the car a week, saleswoman finally called. I asked if they changed the tires. She said NO WAY could she change tires on a brand new car. I hung up on her. She called back and said it would cost $500 to change tires, I hung up again. Another week passed, I went and got the car, I told sales girl's Boss I was REALLY ------ about the tires. I put 88,000 miles on the Michelins and put four new Bridgestones on it, and two Firestone WinterForce snow tires for winter
. I had to drive my F-250 4wd to/from work with any new snow with the Michelins, with those WinterForce tires I could drive thru snow that rubbed on the floorpan. Guy that plowed our parking lot at work plowed a 2+ ft high windrow in front of it one day and I drove right thru it!
I'm still not a fan of Michelin, or Volvo.

My 2007 came with Continentals.
After 300 miles I stopped off at the tire barn and ordered Michelins. Took the tire barn another 300 miles to get them in.
I sold new tires on craigslist with 600 miles on them.

I think I'm going with LTX tires because they are more likely to be in stock.

The XT5 has no spare tire, only an air compressor and the place a spare would normally go isn't big enough for a tire. So if I need a new tire while on the road, I'm going to be in a heap of trouble.

I may be on the outlook for a 6 lug donut tire to fit in the place a spare should be located.

In 1967 my 1st car was a 1959 Triumph TR3. It had the original Michelin tires on it with over 50,000 miles on them.
Most people did not even know what a radial tire was then. Michelin invented the radial. Although the tires didnt last too many more miles they are the only tires I ever had make it past the 50,000 mile mark.
Still one of the best tires made.

I pretty much swear by Michelin tires. That being said, tire specs, ride quality and handling vary across all manufacturers of the same tire size. If you want the car to feel like it always did, then maybe you will want to put the exact same tires on that it had new.

I bought some Michelin take offs one time. I never got to wear one out. they all blew out except for one and it ruined the side wall. I would not take a Michelin if they gave it to me. I ran Good years on the truck for 20 years with few problems and I ran Caps on the drives after the originals wore out. Just never had a problem with caps and I ran all over including South Texas and Arizona in the summer time with no blown tires. Wore the tread out on more than one set of them.

Continentals are a fairly cheap tire Ford put on a lot of cars - I remember my 2006 Taurus came with them. I ran them up to 60K and they still had really good tread. But that year of Taurus didn't weigh that much and they had no power - so the only real wear they might get is if you have a habit of hard braking. I had similar Continentals on my company 2008 Impala with the 3.9 engine. A heavy car with a fair amount of power, especially with the 3.9 engine. The exact same tire (Very similar in size) barely got to 40K miles.

My newish Ford Taurus Limited also has 19 tires - I'm taking notes on what I'm going to be putting on it. The current Pirelli's have been horrible with lots of vibration and a fair amount of road noise since the first day I owned it. They've been rotated and balanced a couple times - with wear they are getting worse. I have been looking at going with Hankook or Yokohama - possible Goodyear Eagles.

The last set of tires I bought were Michelin and won't buy again. For me, they are flat magnets. I have had a flat/tire damage once a year since purchase. First was lag screw through the sidewall, second was a huge thorn through the sidewall back side of tire. These were the right front and required new tire courtesy of road hazard warranty... TWICE.I think they're cursed.

Had some Michelin LT all-season's on my 1/2 ton truck up till a couple months ago. 80,000 mile tire. Think I got 85,000 miles out of them. They were a good tire. Not really impressed with their snow ability, but to get high mileage, you need harder rubber, which is opposite what is needed for a good snow tire. Your road noise will depend on the tire tread, not necessarily the brand.

I never liked Michelins due to the soft rubber. They may stop you in the rain but on dry pavement wear fast and when mounting and dismounting...if you want to use takeoffs on a trailer, gotta be real careful with the process.

I bought a new 2018 Equinox and it had Michelin tires. In 22,000 miles the tires were warn out. The dealer had Michelin give me a adjustment on a new set. So far the new set are wearing better.

I wonder how many Michelin-haters will still buy Firestones? For those who don't remember, Firestone has had not one, but TWO major recalls involving multiple deaths: The Firestone 500 debacle of the late seventies, and the more recent one from around 2000. Firestone 500s are believed to have killed about fifty people, while the Wilderness AT and other tires in the latter recall are blamed for about 200 deaths.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back