Texasmark

Well-known Member
I have an empty #4 bottle of MIG gas that I want to get swapped out for a full one...75 Argon/25 CO2. Internet says that no TSC within 33 miles of my favorite store has it. Any of you use their gasses and have a problem with supply?
 
In both Kansas and Minnesota welding/oxy/acetylene gases were provided through companies that supplied welding products. Never heard of or checked into a farm supply store selling these sorts of things.
 
Just go to any "real" welding / industrial gas supplier for a swap, Airgas, Matheson, etc. Heck if you go to one of them and they happen to be out of your gas/size that day they'll just tell you to go see the other folks down the street to swap. Very easy to swap most anywhere, this is why I keep pointing out we need this model for pack-swap EVs.
 
I have an empty #4 bottle of MIG gas that I want to get swapped out for a full one...75 Argon/25 CO2. Internet says that no TSC within 33 miles of my favorite store has it. Any of you use their gasses and have a problem with supply?
My local NAPA auto parts has gas cylinders...got a NAPA close by?
I have a welding supply store close to me, but seems like they're always closed when I run out of gas.
 
Just go to any "real" welding / industrial gas supplier for a swap, Airgas, Matheson, etc. Heck if you go to one of them and they happen to be out of your gas/size that day they'll just tell you to go see the other folks down the street to swap. Very easy to swap most anywhere, this is why I keep pointing out we need this model for pack-swap EVs.
I think a gas cylinder is just a bit easier to swap out than a battery pack. Most battery packs take upwards of 8 hours to swap.
 
My local NAPA auto parts has gas cylinders...got a NAPA close by?
I have a welding supply store close to me, but seems like they're always closed when I run out of gas.
Air Gas bought out the local welding supply so I have one of those. NAPA is available, can check with them. Thanks for the responses.
 
I think a gas cylinder is just a bit easier to swap out than a battery pack. Most battery packs take upwards of 8 hours to swap.

Actually, in the couple countries that are actually serious about EVs and are doing pack swap *now* the pack swap is an automated process that takes a matter of minutes, comparable to the time to fuel a liquid fueled vehicle.
 
The #4 bottles sold at TSC for around $500 are empty. If you buy one you still must take it and have it filled.
 
Seems that promoting the pack swap idea IS implying that it is a simple thing.
2 to 4 hours to charge - or 8 to 12 hours to swap.
False.

Pack change is being done today and it is comparable to a liquid fuel fill up. Pull up to the "pump" and park and a robotic mechanism swaps the pack(s) from under the vehicle while you sit and wait 5 or 6 minutes, then you are off on your way. This of course requires standards, something that other countries are better at implementing than the US.
 
False.

Pack change is being done today and it is comparable to a liquid fuel fill up. Pull up to the "pump" and park and a robotic mechanism swaps the pack(s) from under the vehicle while you sit and wait 5 or 6 minutes, then you are off on your way. This of course requires standards, something that other countries are better at implementing than the US.
I still wouldn't want to swap the batttery pack from a nice shiny new EV with an old raggedy worn out one that the last car left behind to be charged. The only way I could see that working FAIRLY would be if you buy the car and LEASE the battery pack.

Of course, that would never happen because I never intend to buy an EV. I'll keep what I like, thank you. I don't need others choosing my vehicle for me.
 
I still wouldn't want to swap the batttery pack from a nice shiny new EV with an old raggedy worn out one that the last car left behind to be charged.
When I exchange a tank of bbq propane from the cage, I have never seen an "old raggedy" tank. Why do you presume it would be any more "raggedy" just because it is a battery?

Please post another excuse as to why it won't work as they are becoming quite entertaining.
 
When I exchange a tank of bbq propane from the cage, I have never seen an "old raggedy" tank. Why do you presume it would be any more "raggedy" just because it is a battery?

Please post another excuse as to why it won't work as they are becoming quite entertaining.
I've never had an issue with my various owned O2, Acetylene or Argon cylinders. I can swap at pretty much any supplier and get a cylinder that is within hydro-test date and entirely functional. Sometimes the cylinder I get is shiny new, sometimes some scuffs in the paint, who cares.

For standardized battery packs you can still own the pack just like I own my gas cylinders, it's just a pack / cylinder in a pool, not a specific one. The pack you get at the "fueling" station would be perfectly serviceable and tested for minimum capacity. When a pack gets old and doesn't meet spec any more it's recycled out of the pool, just like a gas cylinder that fails hydro-testing. The cost of the worn out packs / failed cylinders is baked into the exchange cost so you never get hit by a big unexpected cost.

Pack change eliminates the "range anxiety" (once sufficient infrastructure, no different than liquid fuel stations), and the worn out pack replacement cost anxiety issues with EVs. It also prolongs pack life since in a pool at an automated station the packs can be charged at a moderate rate rather than "super charged" which shortens their service life.
 
The #4 bottles sold at TSC for around $500 are empty. If you buy one you still must take it and have it filled.
Thats understandable in today's market. I have half a dozen cylinders in pristeen condition from 3 to 5 all pretty much empty now and time to get them refilled.....yes I will have to foot the "chek the cylinder expense" as I have had them for at least 10 years and have surpassed the inspection deadline. Not sure how swapping will go in today's market but it is what it is. That's one reason I liked the TSC cylinder....no hassle, give them your old one and get a new/refilled used one with some cash spent....like swapping 20# cylinders from Ameri-Gas for your gas grille..... no hassle, give them your old and take their refurbished/filled replacement....yes its costly but so what. What is convenience worth????? Worth that meager upgrade in cost to me......my money, my decision, not yours.
 
In both Kansas and Minnesota welding/oxy/acetylene gases were provided through companies that supplied welding products. Never heard of or checked into a farm supply store selling these sorts of things.
Not relatrd to the OP problem, but I get my mig gas at tractor supply in Wichita ks.
 
Thats understandable in today's market. I have half a dozen cylinders in pristeen condition from 3 to 5 all pretty much empty now and time to get them refilled.....yes I will have to foot the "chek the cylinder expense" as I have had them for at least 10 years and have surpassed the inspection deadline. Not sure how swapping will go in today's market but it is what it is. That's one reason I liked the TSC cylinder....no hassle, give them your old one and get a new/refilled used one with some cash spent....like swapping 20# cylinders from Ameri-Gas for your gas grille..... no hassle, give them your old and take their refurbished/filled replacement....yes its costly but so what. What is convenience worth????? Worth that meager upgrade in cost to me......my money, my decision, not yours.
Well, if you originally got the tank at TSC I'd sure try to take it back there. I don't know anything about a supply issue with MIG gas, but I haven't bought any in several years. Around here the welding supply houses seem to take anybody's tanks, but I suspect if you are able to swap your TSC tank at another supplier TSC probably won't take the other supplier's tank.

I'd talk to a manager at your closest TSC to find out why they're out of MIG gas. Hopefully they have some on the way.
 
I've swapped cylinders that were out of hydro at my local Airgas and they didn't care one bit. As noted the periodic hydro-test cost is baked into the cylinder swap cost anyway, so you don't have to ever deal with it as an extra charge.
 
I know around here you have to buy the cylinder after that anyone will exchange it. It got fun once when we opened a tank that had a broken handle from the place we just swapped it with!! They never would have filled it like that...well they kinda did
We have an air gas and a local guy and you can also purchase cheap tanks at fleet farm of all places
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top