Miller Roughneck 2e

nisse

Member
I recently picked up a Miller roughneck 2e
welder and I am having a few problems with
it. First the outlets are putting out only
about 24 volts no matter the engine rpm or
where the fine adjustment knob is, when the
switch is set for welding the volts drop to
0. Also it is my understanding that for
welding it is supposed to run at 3600 rpm
and welding is 1800 rpm and when the switch
is flipped it is supposed to automatically
change. Right now nothing changes when the
flip is switched and it is governed well
below 3600, I have a non contact tachometer
ordered to help with that problem. The
engine is also weeping oil from the air
filter but I'm thinking that is the breather
tube and shouldn't be hard to troubleshoot.
The welder welds pretty good on ac and the
fine adjustment works as well, but it
doesn't have the power I would think it
should have, but guessing that is because it
isn't running at rated speed. I also got a
DC converter in the deal which seems to work
but it is running colder than just on ac, I
have never used a DC welder, is that normal?
The engine problems I think I can fix fairly
easily, really looking for more help on the
outlets, I am ok using a multimeter to
troubleshoot, but have never worked on a
generator. I have attached some pics as
well.
Thanks,
John
a204986.jpg

a204987.jpg

a204988.jpg

a204990.jpg
 
On the 120V side try this. Plug in a brush style drill and fire up the gen,spin the drill backwards by hand while pulling the trigger. If it works you have "excited" the gen and you should be good to go.
 
I have a Roughneck I use all the time. In order for it to switch from welding to 120v it works like this. 120v it must be at idle for welding it is at high rpm. Never had any problems with mine so I am not sure of the rpm settings.
 
Thanks for the replies, it is a tecumseh engine not sure of model will have to look. Are the slip rings where the brushes ride? I did spray some contact cleaner while it was running in that area, may have to actually clean brushes.
John
 
Hello Gary,
Does the Rpm automatically change when you change modes? Was reading about a solenoid that controls it, did seem to find it by throttle, but ran out of time to mess with it.
Thanks,
John
 
Welding is at full throttle and toggle switch at weld.

120 volt is at IDLE and switch on power! And throttle handle at idle depresses a switch necessary to operate the system. If it doesn't work, yes plug in an electric drill and depress the switch on the drill and turn it by hand to excite the generator.

Yes, I have a 2E.
 

replace the triple pole single throw switch. its probably bad. get one off ebay for about 16 bucks. Or check yours with an ohm meter.
 
When you are adjusting the engine speeds, keep in mind those are governed speeds. Best I recall there is a solenoid plunger that sets the weld speed by pulling the governor spring, not directly attached to the throttle plate.

The oil blowing into the air filter is a sign there is some blow by on the rings. Probably won't be a problem unless you plan on doing a lot of running. Just keep a watch on the oil level.
 
There is no solenoid plunger to set weld speed. Throttle lever goes to max and should be 3600 rpm of engine. Governor controls engine speed.
 
Yes those are the slip rings. Sometimes they will glaze over.Need to clean with contact cleaner,light sandpaper,brush stone,scotch pad. Should be a dull to bright color. Make sure the brushes are free in the guides and making good contact with the rings
 
Mine is all manual no solenoid. I adjusted mine by using a drop light, when it came on while adjusting the idle, I then plugged my grinder in to check that it ran good. The grinder is what I use most of time on mine. Has worked great every since. The reason I had to adjust mine was the teflon washers in the throttle lever wore out. By the way teflon washers used for plumbing (as in faucet repair) work great for repairing the throttle.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top