Mini/angle grinder storage ideas?

redtom

Well-known Member
I currently have 4 grinders I use alternatively. Grinding wheel, cutter, wire wheel, and flap disc. They're piled on a bench where I struggle with tangled cords when I'm switching back and forth. I'd like to store them some how. Perhaps a pigeon hole type shelf or something. I don't want them in a closed cabinet as I want to be able to grab them. The metal hanging type racks are ok but theres still a cord to coil up. Any shop built ideas you'd like to share?
 
Just built a rack for my 4 grinders. Welded 1/4 inch rod to some flat stock. Wide enough to hang grinder between 2 rods. Bent them at 90 degrees up. Holds grinder perfect. Coiled cord over the top. They hang perfect. Can get picture tomorrow.
 
this is on my welding table but could be done the same way on a wall with some standoffs

j
Img_1170.13737.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Img_1170 - Copy.jpg
    Img_1170 - Copy.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 81
Remember when Milwaukee came out with the cord that plugged into the tool with a lock type of some type that kept it from falling out?

great idea IMO, one cord that could be kept plugged in, laying on the bench to use with any grinder, drill etc. Too bad that didn't become a standard.

storing the tools is never an issue for me, drawer, hanging rack, pegboard or my favorite, slat wall. But cords are a hassle. That's the main reason for the popularity of battery tools. At least that's my humble opinion.

I actually had some tools at one time that had very short twist locks on the end and I used twist lock extensions. But, that was a hassle.
 
Spaced a 1/4" x 1" flat bar out from the wall. This works perfect for me.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20170520_130302025 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170520_130302025 (Medium).jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_20170520_130250409 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_20170520_130250409 (Medium).jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 97
Jinolo, that's exactly what I've done on all my workbenches and toolboxes, I bolted a 1/8-1/4" thick strip of metal along 1 end of every bench. I use misc sockets for the standoff (duplicates or bulk garage sale 1/2" drive stuff).
 
I currently have 4 grinders I use alternatively. Grinding wheel, cutter, wire wheel, and flap disc. They're piled on a bench where I struggle with tangled cords when I'm switching back and forth. I'd like to store them some how. Perhaps a pigeon hole type shelf or something. I don't want them in a closed cabinet as I want to be able to grab them. The metal hanging type racks are ok but theres still a cord to coil up. Any shop built ideas you'd like to share?
This is mine. It's mobile, has an ext. cord and outlet.
 

Attachments

  • grinder stand 2.jpg
    grinder stand 2.jpg
    830.1 KB · Views: 143
  • grinder stand 1.jpg
    grinder stand 1.jpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 238
I currently have 4 grinders I use alternatively. Grinding wheel, cutter, wire wheel, and flap disc. They're piled on a bench where I struggle with tangled cords when I'm switching back and forth. I'd like to store them some how. Perhaps a pigeon hole type shelf or something. I don't want them in a closed cabinet as I want to be able to grab them. The metal hanging type racks are ok but theres still a cord to coil up. Any shop built ideas you'd like to share?
I have a roll around service cart with drawers on one side and a large door covered opening on the other. I too have half a dozen with each equipped with a different head. I roll the cords around the units, tucking the plugs in the wiring and put 3 per drawer. No problem.

I have a 6 amp HF that has a paddle lever control. That thing is dangerous....the location of the paddle. All the rest have slide switches and are 4-5 amp. For the big jobs have the HF 7 and their 9 inch.....another beast. They are too big for the drawers so I have them on a shelf in my miscellaneous item floor to ceiling rack. Had them for years and added extras over the years....no failures, just work.
 
Here is how i hang my grinders. Even have pegs for the spindle wrench and grinder wheels/sanding disc Just realized the disc peg hangers do not show In one pic you can see the edge of the disc
IMG_4496.jpeg
IMG_4495.jpeg
 
If you've seen a disk fly apart and bury in the operator's chest... you'd understand shields

john
It doesn't need to be the whole disc....you can hit an irregularity in whatever you are working on and knock off a chunk of he disc and the same thing can happen. The other thing is while using one of those things, if you drop it or it slips out of your hand or gets kockeyed from where you thought you had it aligned, it can rip through your skin in a New York Minute.
 
I currently have 4 grinders I use alternatively. Grinding wheel, cutter, wire wheel, and flap disc. They're piled on a bench where I struggle with tangled cords when I'm switching back and forth. I'd like to store them some how. Perhaps a pigeon hole type shelf or something. I don't want them in a closed cabinet as I want to be able to grab them. The metal hanging type racks are ok but theres still a cord to coil up. Any shop built ideas you'd like to share?
I keep mine in a filing cabinet I am going to call it letter size they stand normal filing cabinet height. They are about 12" wide with 8/10" drawers. I have cut them into to fit under a table. Something like this. I do have one hung its my go to I bent and cut threaded rod to go into the head where a handle would fit and goes in a bracket with holes.

10 Drawers Tableside Vertical Filing Cabinet google it.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top