Model MT Fenders

Dan Byler

New User
I have fenders for my MT, but they need to be repaired and repainted. I took the footrests and brackets apart, but there is a flat piece of metal about 20 to 22" long and 10 to 12" wide on the inside of the fenders that I"m not sure how to get off. It seems to be fastened to the fenders about every 2 inches close to the perimeter of the metal, but I cannot see any welds. I really want to get this apart in order to clean up the rust and paint it properly so it doesn't rust form the inside out. Any advice on how to get this apart is appreciated!
 
If there are no bolts in it, it is probably spot welded on. Only way to get it apart is if you can see the spot welds and drill them out and bolt it back together.
 
I looked at my MT and I think it is rolled on one edge from the main fender and spot welded one the other edge. no way to get at apart without damage to the fender I'm afraid.
 
It is most certainly spot welded, though I have never had any apart. Looked at mine and they appear to be welded every 3-4 inches.
Maybe a little sanding will expose exactly where your welds are.

I would really appreciate pics on the process of taking these off. Get your camera ready!!

Thanks, Jim.
 
I took a closer look at this and after using angle grinder to clean away rust and old paint, I could see where it was spot welded. I then drilled through the metal piece where the spot welds were, trying not to drill into the fender too far, and was able to get it off. I'm thinking I will get a new flat metal piece made up - its quite basic, and repair the fender. Would you advise bolting it back together, or spot welding? I'm afraid to spot weld it, for fear of this rusting again between the two pieces. Thanks for your help.
 
You might also consider using JB Weld to attach the flat metal piece.

Will your tractor be parked under cover or parked outside uncovered?
 
I have no experience with JB Weld - sounds like a good option though. Any tips on how to use it? The tractor will be parked under cover.
 
Good to know. My MT shows no rust on the fenders like yours, yet. I would personally spot weld again but I like things original. If you clean it up and paint it right it should last another 60 years with the spot welds.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top