Moline u question

rmf1066

Member
I just picked up my future puller I hope. I bought it on eBay I"m not a MM pro but it looked like a UB in the photos with the platform and steering colum. But to my surprise when I looked it over good it was a UTU I still took it my fault not his I should have done more research. It has the one piece head and jugs, my questions are can I switch it to the two pice set up or should I look in to a whole new engine? And what does the HC mean on the head? Any help would be thank full
 
the HC means high compression head. the two piece jugs and heads wont fit on the one piece head engine. i would find me a 2 piece head and jug engine if it was me cause you can change the jugs and heads on it and make diffent cubes and different hp.
 
The good news: Your UTU with the one-piece block has a lighter transmision compared to the newer 1948-1950s ones and good gears.

Bad news: You will need a new engine if you want split blocks either std bore or 4-5/8 type.

It wouldn't be bad to just go buy a power unit 336 (or 403 if rules allow). They are usually quite reasonable. it would be cheaper than buying a split block U engine, then buying the blocks.

The HC head means high compression, but that means they are made to run on regular gasoline in the 1940s, so they are likely 5.5:1 ratio. Nothing radical.

The mid to late 40's split block engine will accept 6" G crank but only bore so far. I did hear of 4.5 bore in them, but don't know how much cylinder is left. 390 cubes is max without welding a block or crank. Hope this helps.

Ethan
 
I have a complete U motor that has the 4 5/8 jugs off a 336 motor. I went a little larger on mine. 665 cubes. It has the 670 style intake with 4210 heads. Has flywheel, governor, distributer. The only thing not on it is a fan and carb, otherwise bolt it in and go pulling. Can get extra G crank (6")for extra money.Located in Virginia. May sell 665 cube motor if wanted.Or whole tractor. NOT CHEAP though.
 
If I'm not mistaken, that tractor had a solid block motor in a regular UB front/rearend. No weight savings there. I'll look again, but that's how it appeared to me.
 
That does make me feel a little better that some one else thought it was a UB. It sure looked like one to me in the pictures not being a avid mm man. I never looked for the hand clutch in the photo but when I picked it up it sure seemed fishy. And then when I looked at the tag it was in black and white what it is.
 
above post has 4206 heads not 4210.This picture has 336 crankcase with 800 jugs and 4228 heads. 665 cubes.A UTS has shorter axle housings than a UTU. The housings alone are lighter even if the rest of the rearend is the same casting letter.
a77257.jpg

a77257.jpg
 
The first UT100A casting weighs 590#.
The late "10Axxxxx" casting weighs 780#.
Yours is probably a UT100D. It's in the middle somewhere.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top