More Borrowing Nightmares

Michael Soldan

THis is a little different slant. A neighbour asked to borrow our 584 and three point plow so he could plow an old orchard. His Versatile was too big to make the turns so I said sure. A day latter another neighbour drove in and asked me if I knew where my tractor was . I said yeah , over at my neighbour's , he said no its not , its about 8 miles away running a stone picker..WHATTT ?? This sob took the plow off, drove it 8 miles and put it on a stone picker for the afternoon. Well it didn't take me long to get there in my truck. The tractor and picker were at the end of the field, so I locked my truck and took my tractor home , got a ride back for the truck. This dude came in the next day and says I see you got your tractor. I asked him why it was over there and his answer was I only had a few acres of stones to pick and I didn't think you would mind ! I never lent that guy another thing and word got around and pretty soon nobody was lending him anything. To me it was the height of ignorance to misuse the trust someone had in you , plow your 2 acre orchard sure , but running a stone picker all afternoon without my knowledge..ignorant !

He should have let you know what he had in mind when he borrowed it, then you could have decided whether to lend it or not.

I'm sure that put a fair amount of wear and tear on your tractor, not too mention 16 miles of road travel on your tires. What is wrong with people?

Better yet, do not lend things. Oh some how you supposed to feel bad for not lending, not me, it took me years of hard work and doing without to finally have what I have, not going to loan it to anyone. You should or could have offered to plow his field, or watch him plow his field. But generally I go with the tools or tractors and equipment. jmho gobble

I worked for a chainsaw dealer/repair place for a while. Probably 1/2 the saws that came in, usually in a box were either from the borrower(better) or the owner who got it back after loaning it out.

I am 64 years old shady nabour asked to bourow a sprayer from my dad he told him would like to but he he'd patenders l said o no you don't he said yes l do me you and your mom. RENE'

Use to be a local roofer who asked to borrow my dump trailer while doing a roof job down the road. So I said yes. It didn't come back, and didn't come back. Turns out he took it to the next state below New York to gut out a building he had bought. When asked to bring it back, he got mad.

We had a neighbor once who quickly got the reputation of being the neighborhood mooch.

He once broke the axle in a 4x4 pickup in the middle of a section, where he had no right to be in the first place. He wanted to borrow one of my tractors to try to drag it out. I gave him the phone number of a nearby service station that had a tow truck.

Years ago I walked into the local seed and chemical dealer who was also a large farmer. He said "You should see you brother inlaw, he has an old Deere 4010 on the notill drill and when it runs out of power they push in the clutch wait for the rpm's to get wide open and then pop the clutch". I could have cried because it was my 4010. I have already took parts off equipment that I knew he wanted to borrow so I could tell him it was broke. I stayed with wide row equipment so he would not ask to borrow anything. He could break an anvil with a marshmellow hammer but was the nicest person in the world and would go out of his way to help you any time he could even letting his own work go to help others. He just did not understand how to operate equipment. Tom

Yeah, I had 20 years or so back a dirt poor neighbour coming to borrow my swather to cut 15 acre oats.I send him on its way with a full tank of gas. It had brandnew guards and sickle sections.
He brought it back a week or so later when I wasn't home.
When I went to use it a couple days later I found the tank bone dry and a bunch of broke guards and broke or missing sections.
I found out later he had done some custom cutting for another neighbour who was to lazy to pick rocks.
Never again did I lend out any of my equipment, I don't care how hard up they are.

(quoted from post at 22:46:11 06/18/19) I am 64 years old shady nabour asked to bourow a sprayer from my dad he told him would like to but he he'd patenders l said o no you don't he said yes l do me you and your mom. RENE'

What?

(quoted from post at 11:52:15 06/19/19)
(quoted from post at 22:46:11 06/18/19) I am 64 years old shady nabour asked to bourow a sprayer from my dad he told him would like to but he he'd patenders l said o no you don't he said yes l do me you and your mom. RENE'

What?
I tried plugging it into google translator but the little hourglass popped up and started spinning in circles.

(quoted from post at 03:52:15 06/19/19)

What?

Clarence, I'll second that!!

In my thirty years of farming I have increased my capabilities by borrowing, so of course I reciprocate. My dairy farmer neighbor once told me that they liked loaning to me because the maintenance that I performed could be all that their equipment would get, and they valued their rest time very highly. They didn't return equipment to me in as good condition as they took it, but that was OK because they had more for me to borrow than for me to loan.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back