jon f mn
Well-known Member
Spent the weekend building more gates in my barn. Finished the crates first. The one side piece had to be made to follow the cement ramp so that made it a bit more difficult. Then made the other gate to close the rear of the crates off for easy sorting.
Then I made a gate for the next pen. These are longer, so this one I made in 2 pieces so one can block the ally and the other will work to help with sorting.
This allowed me to get rid of another wood gate that was badly eaten and heavy and awkward to move for cleaning.
Here is the latch for that gate. I used 2x2x3/16 tube for the outer slides and 1 1/2" for the slider. That's one size bigger and heavier than the other latch to take the extra stress.
Then built another gate for the next pen. This one is 11"4" long so the long tubes needed to be spliced as the tubes are all 7'9" long.
To make it stronger I staggered the splices, alternating from right and left. Then added the upright near the splices to stabilize it. Seems to be strong enough.
The posts are a bit further apart the lengthwise direction of the barn than across the barn. So this gate can't swing both ways, but will close off the next post. That way when cleaning I can lock the pigs behind the gate.
Sure is nice to be done with another heavy wooden gate.
I have enough of the tube left to split the far pan with the growers in it in half so I can keep the pigs closer in size together.
Then I made a gate for the next pen. These are longer, so this one I made in 2 pieces so one can block the ally and the other will work to help with sorting.
This allowed me to get rid of another wood gate that was badly eaten and heavy and awkward to move for cleaning.
Here is the latch for that gate. I used 2x2x3/16 tube for the outer slides and 1 1/2" for the slider. That's one size bigger and heavier than the other latch to take the extra stress.
Then built another gate for the next pen. This one is 11"4" long so the long tubes needed to be spliced as the tubes are all 7'9" long.
To make it stronger I staggered the splices, alternating from right and left. Then added the upright near the splices to stabilize it. Seems to be strong enough.
The posts are a bit further apart the lengthwise direction of the barn than across the barn. So this gate can't swing both ways, but will close off the next post. That way when cleaning I can lock the pigs behind the gate.
Sure is nice to be done with another heavy wooden gate.
I have enough of the tube left to split the far pan with the growers in it in half so I can keep the pigs closer in size together.