more on cadet no charge...

from my previous post. First, thanx very much for the help so far!

I ran thru the diag procedure which indicated the v/r was defective. I installed the new one no problem...but when repolarizing the new v/r I ran into a situation which I think is a problem. I did see the spark the instructions warned about but the stater also ran. I dont think it should be doing that. I tried it w/ key in & out and the starter always came on. Any idea what this might be?
 
one more data point...the voltage at the battery at full throttle is only 13.8VDC. I think thats also too little. Maybe this helps indicate what wrong?
 
I get the same charging voltage 13.8 volts from
my old Wards garden tractor. It has always kept the battery charged and the generator is also used as a starter. There is a note in my owner's manual about increasing the rate of charge by disconnecting the lead from the BAT terminal and reconnect it to the regular L terminal. I never did it. They also said this was ok in the winter, but
not for summer use. Hal
 
When re-polarizing the V/R, it would NOT be uncommon for the S/G to roll over briefly when you touch the BAT & GEN terminals together. After all, the BAT terminal is hot all the time. The Gen Terminal wire goes to the "A" terminal on the S/G. When the "A" terminal is energized, the S/G will roll over.

On my previous post, 14.7VDC is considered at Maximum Voltage. As Hal stated, 13.8 is acceptable.

:)
 
The generator systems I have checked DO NOT run as high a regulated voltage as later alternator systems. I converted a combind I have to neg. ground alternator. The electric gauges ran higher than when the generator was used. I thought maybe the ground polarity change had something to do with this. Later I bought one of these combinds for parts. It had a good engine I was going to use on anothere porject. In checking out the engine I measure the voltage the battery was charging at. The voltage was 13.8 volts. The charging system was a positive ground generator. I know now why the gauges were reading higher. The .6 volt differance between the alternators 14.4 volts and the generators 13.8 was the cause.

Kent
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top