More tire tools?

NYOlivers

Member
So a few posts back there was discussion of tire bead breaking tools. To keep on the tire talk of mount/dismount what are you guys using to actually remove or install tires on rims? Tire bars, tire machine?? I am asking for larger tires like 34 or 38inch tractor tires.
 

dismount: backhoe to break them down, then tire irons and lots of tire grease.

mounting: tire irons and lots of tire grease
 
Sledge hammer,wedges and tire irons.
a262797.jpg
 
I have a pair of tire spoons about 3 foot long. I have had them for well over 2 decades now. I also have a tire hammer and a truck tire bead breaker. Some say to use a truck or tractor or backhoe etc. to break them down but when I still worked at a tire place I saw way to many come in that some one had done that to and it was a costly mistake on there part
 
(quoted from post at 14:52:39 03/25/18) I have a pair of tire spoons about 3 foot long. I have had them for well over 2 decades now. I also have a tire hammer and a truck tire bead breaker. Some say to use a truck or tractor or backhoe etc. to break them down but when I still worked at a tire place I saw way to many come in that some one had done that to and it was a costly mistake on there part

then they need to be better operators :lol:
 
I learned when I was younger ALWAYS use the correct tool for the job or do not even try to do the job because using the wrong tool can be very unsafe and cause major problem to what your working on and to people around you
 
(quoted from post at 14:24:54 03/25/18) So a few posts back there was discussion of tire bead breaking tools. To keep on the tire talk of mount/dismount what are you guys using to actually remove or install tires on rims? Tire bars, tire machine?? I am asking for larger tires like 34 or 38inch tractor tires.


When I bought my first tire machine it was like heaven.

Before that I had swapped hundreds of tires over with nothing more than a jackall a few pry bars, long screwdrivers and lots of soap and water.

As long as you pay attention to where the depression of the rim is mounting and dismounting tractor tires can be done with the same tools, just takes a little longer.
On the big tires a vice grip and a hammer come in handy to get the first bead on the rim.
 
I use a sliding hammer bead breaker and a pair of 30" tire spoons. Works on everything from 14" up. On rear tractor tires I prefer that the rims and tires are left on the tractor. Much easier to dismount and mount.
Loren
 
(quoted from post at 14:10:13 03/25/18) I learned when I was younger ALWAYS use the correct tool for the job or do not even try to do the job because using the wrong tool can be very unsafe and cause major problem to what your working on and to people around you

So if you don't have the tool the job doesn't get done, and the collection around the place just keeps growing, right
 
I have a older center post tire machine to break down and mount smaller tires. I have to get some tire bars and spoons to do the larger tractor tires and maybe a bead seating air tool. It gets expensive to keep taking them to a tire shop, the cost of new tires and tubes is enough as it is. Where I used to work they did all there own tire work, I have mounted 10R and 11R truck tires with bars grease and tire lube. Where I work now we have all the larger tire work sent out.
 
for tractor tires i put an outrigger on one side of the tire as close to the rim as i get and run the bucket over and work the opposite side, i can get them broke down fairly quick, for semi tires i just knock them down with the skid steer, eventually ill be better at getting the tire off with the skid steer lol
 
I bought a tractor once that had the edge of the rims all notched up. I thought how could that happen? Then I saw the local tire guy swinging a sledge hammer to break the bead and I understood.
 
So I guess along with some tire bars I need to buy a backhoe!! I wonder how that would go over with the finance dept? Lol
 
(quoted from post at 06:23:29 03/26/18) So I guess along with some tire bars I need to buy a backhoe!! I wonder how that would go over with the finance dept? Lol

Your other option is when you wreck a tire, wreck it good.

Had a rear let go a few years ago out in the field, big split down the sidewall.

Was a half mile from the yard, pulled the pin and left the harrows behind.

By the time I got back to the yard both beads were already off.
Made for the quickest 38'' changeover I ever did.
 
I have had quite a few guys bring me tires with the whole sidewall destroyed by using a loader similar to that. If your gonna use 1 make sure you don't break the bead wires.
 
I can just Imagine the damage you could really cause to a tire and or rim with a loader bucket or backhoe. I don't think that I am to fond of that idea. I think I will look into a manual bead breaking tool.
 
That's exactly what I was looking to purchase as well. I am not going to be doing tires everyday for a living just a few a year for myself. I would think in the long run it should be cheaper than going to a tire shop.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top