MS carb choke plate question

stevieb49829

Well-known Member
I have a TSX 155 Marvel carb on my Massey Harris 101 Jr. It's very cold blooded. The carb has one of those choke plates with the spring-loaded bypass plates in it. If I pull off the air tube and block off all the air with my fingers at the air inlet, it will start when it's cold out. Can I change out to a solid choke plate? Any downside to doing that? Thanks for your help. steve

3-300x259.jpg
 
Easier would be to use a heavier spring, or solder the plate in place. Make sure the plate is centered in the bore. that requires loosening the screws and closing it while loose. then tightening the screws while closed. Jim
 
I have a TSX 155 Marvel carb on my Massey Harris 101 Jr. It's very cold blooded. The carb has one of those choke plates with the spring-loaded bypass plates in it. If I pull off the air tube and block off all the air with my fingers at the air inlet, it will start when it's cold out. Can I change out to a solid choke plate? Any downside to doing that? Thanks for your help. steve

View attachment 808
The problem maybe as simple as the spring is getting weak and needs to be replaced. The spring is there so that it opens as the engine starts up so could bbe needing to be replaced
 
Easier would be to use a heavier spring, or solder the plate in place. Make sure the plate is centered in the bore. that requires loosening the screws and closing it while loose. then tightening the screws while closed. Jim
I do have another, solid plate in a parts carb. I guess not that hard to change it out in place, IF I don't drop the screws. I'll look at the retention spring first, though. steve
 
I have a TSX 155 Marvel carb on my Massey Harris 101 Jr. It's very cold blooded. The carb has one of those choke plates with the spring-loaded bypass plates in it. If I pull off the air tube and block off all the air with my fingers at the air inlet, it will start when it's cold out. Can I change out to a solid choke plate? Any downside to doing that? Thanks for your help. steve

View attachment 808
Hi Steve .... how are things south of the 49th? I know it might be tough to determine but are you sure the little relief valve/spring assembly is opening when you are starting your Massey, or are you just assuming it is opening? "Seeing" it nudge open might be tough but with an extra set of hands you might be able to. An ill-fitting plate could also be the culprit too. Plus, some of those plates (I think) might have different degree angles on the upper an lower edges, I have noticed that at times. It wouldn't take much to mess up a perfect seal.
 
Hi Steve .... how are things south of the 49th? I know it might be tough to determine but are you sure the little relief valve/spring assembly is opening when you are starting your Massey, or are you just assuming it is opening? "Seeing" it nudge open might be tough but with an extra set of hands you might be able to. An ill-fitting plate could also be the culprit too. Plus, some of those plates (I think) might have different degree angles on the upper an lower edges, I have noticed that at times. It wouldn't take much to mess up a perfect seal.
And the other side of that equation is, is the plate closing for sure? Used to replace a lot of those springs when rebuilding carbs, as one end would break off.
 
I would put in the solid plate and call it done.
My real concern is if that hinged plate serves any other purpose other than letting the tractor run on choke when it starts, like Old mentions. Is there a circuit in the carburetor that needs it to work correctly? I'm perfectly capable of using the choke knob to keep the tractor running, once it starts, but I'd rather not cause another problem by removing the OEM part.
 
And the other side of that equation is, is the plate closing for sure? Used to replace a lot of those springs when rebuilding carbs, as one end would break off.
Thanks, Bob. You brought up the question I had. If my fingers over the intake throat make it work, my assumption was that the little flapper thingy wasn't shutting off enough air.
 
Hi Steve .... how are things south of the 49th? I know it might be tough to determine but are you sure the little relief valve/spring assembly is opening when you are starting your Massey, or are you just assuming it is opening? "Seeing" it nudge open might be tough but with an extra set of hands you might be able to. An ill-fitting plate could also be the culprit too. Plus, some of those plates (I think) might have different degree angles on the upper an lower edges, I have noticed that at times. It wouldn't take much to mess up a perfect seal.
I'm going to just change it out and see what happens. If it doesn't start any better, then I have problems I don't know about. I do have enough parts to put another MS together (thanks to you), and a brand new clone I could go that route for a while. The clone was really cheap - it was on a forklift in the scrap yard and cost me, along with a new 12V coil, and a good distributor, all of $2. It had never even had gas in it. A cheap way to try one of those from the land of not quite right!! I eventually brought the F124 Continental home too and have it just about ready to go into my parts tractor. That was a good day at the scrap yard!!
 
I have a TSX 155 Marvel carb on my Massey Harris 101 Jr. It's very cold blooded. The carb has one of those choke plates with the spring-loaded bypass plates in it. If I pull off the air tube and block off all the air with my fingers at the air inlet, it will start when it's cold out. Can I change out to a solid choke plate? Any downside to doing that? Thanks for your help. steve

View attachment 808
Have to do the finger thing on my 200 Case when cold. Have to look for a spring or a couple drops of brazing.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top