Multiple Pages for Threads

DanielW

Well-known Member
This seems to be new on these forums, and causing a lot of folks to reply when they haven't seen the full thread (and maybe don't know the full story or see details of other replies). It would be nice if these forums got rid of the pages, and just had a long, continuous list you could scroll down right to the latest reply. I know some other forums have changed to this continuous setup , and I think it very beneficial. I've seen lots of replies of late that caused confusion or wouldn't have been posted, but the poster failed to see that there was a second/third page.
 
Completely agree that people should read the full thread before posting: That's why I don't really care for the multiple pages. Not the best example, but consider this thread (first example I could find of multiple pages): Someone new clicking on this thread will read the OP post, then (hopefully) read all the subsequent posts as they scroll down to the bottom. But it's not overly obvious that once they get to the bottom of the page, there's a second page they have to click on to see even later replies to the same thread. And if this is their first time viewing that thread, it won't automatically jump to the latest. I've seen a few threads lately get a little confusing, because people are clearly responding without having gone to the second/third page and are thus not reading the whole thing.

Until recently, you'd just keep scrolling down to see newer replies, without having to click on new pages.

 
Last edited:
See its just a change thing, you can easily tell that there are more pages, its just different and one needs to learn how to use it. Things change fast in the tech world.

So we change something that actually does work, so people do not need to learn how to use new software?? 🤔

Kind of enabling being lazy, IMO

Edit: and I 100% exactly understand the complaints for those complaining, I have been on forums for a long time. That said after being forced to use this style long ago on other sites I actually prefer it, after I played with it and learned it. And those sites had their groups of people complaining, similar demographic to here on both sites

As I mentioned and JMO, solutions looking for problems.
 
Last edited:
Until recently, you'd just keep scrolling down to see newer replies, without having to click on new pages.
This is a generalization that only applies to people who chose to continue to use the "ghost" of classic view. Everyone who had been using modern view has been clicking to move to the next page for years. It seems pretty clear that classic view is not coming back. Maybe it's high time to learn something new. It's not that hard.
 
With respect to all.

Multiple pages in the forums on this site are only new to those who chose to stay with the Classic and its simulated view, multiple pages were always there in Modern view to my knowledge.

The number of pages in a thread shows at the top left and again at the bottom of the thread page. If I mark a forum read when I leave it the next time I come back the threads that are new or have replies since I left show in bold text and the word NEW is next to the title in a red box. Clicking on the bold title takes me to the first post made on that thread since I left it and any subsequent posts.

There is a time/date stamp just above the left top of every post. I have to believe not reading that time stamp is why may old threads get replies, reviving them, not because of multiple pages.

If one uses the reply button inside the text box of a post made by a person they want to reply to, it will show the post as a quote so there is no doubt who was replying to who. Using the open reply box at the bottom of a page is more or less directed to the original poster, or general info related to the subject.

We all have the choice to adapt to the changes or not. In reality Chris and Kim put more time into maintaining outdated software to keep some people happy than they should have, it was their "baby". That action of keeping Classic on life support is most of the resistance to change now. Like some others here, there were many changes to software where I worked, very little got tailored to make it like an old program. You had to learn and use the changes for the integrated systems to work. JMHO
 
multiple pages were always there in Modern view to my knowledge.
That's correct. In 2001, I inherited a forum that was an early adopter of phpBB, the software that modern view used as its base. From day 1, phpBB broke threads into multiple pages when they got longer than X posts.
 
The number of pages in a thread shows at the top left and again at the bottom of the thread page. If I mark a forum read when I leave it the next time I come back the threads that are new or have replies since I left show in bold text and the word NEW is next to the title in a red box. Clicking on the bold title takes me to the first post made on that thread since I left it and any subsequent posts.

I don't even mark a forum read when I leave it, and it still does exactly what Jim said--threads with new posts will be in bold print, and clicking the title will automatically take you to the new posts.
 
All those extra clicks required to move on to the next pages in threads surely must contribute to carpal tunnel syndrome plus the associated wear and tear on one's mouse I suppose.
I don’t like it either, I always use threaded view mostly for that reason. It is gone now so I will have to buckle down with some big boy pants and get used to it. I did figure out on multi page threads I will have to hold my phone sideways to allow the top of the page numbers and page “jump to” arrows to show.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top