MX10 mower slip clutch help

gwece

I have an 18 year old Deere pull type MX10 mower that I am trying to check the slip clutch to see if it operates properly. The adjusting allen screws are flush
with the front of the clutch. The manual says the screws should be screwed all the way IN for winter storage (which I have never done). The book says the screws
should be screwed all the way OUT for mowing operation. The screws have not been moved since the mower was new. The clutch has slipped only one time in (heavy
fescue) the first year it was used. At any rate, we cant move the screws either direction with a 5mm allen socket. Any suggestions on resolving this problem? Can
we use a torch on the screws or am I looking at bigger problems? Yes I know I should have read the manual better 18 years ago! Any advice appreciated!!!

Acetylene torch heat on the head of each of the 4 allen head bolts could help loosen bolts. I suggest to put allen socket on each of 4 bolts & hit socket with a big hammer several times. Then apply penetrating oil to each allen head bolt.

Can nuts(item 15) be loosened sufficiently on bolts(item 1) so slip clutches plates will slip?

IMHO posting same question on several different forums on same site just confuses forum members so I omitted posting the parts schematic photo.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back