My 8 N death wobble,

RGR

Well I've had my 48 8 N for a few weeks now, won't be able to do to much until spring and summer, just learning about it and checking things out, I run it every few days just to keep things movin, today decided to take it out on my street, first time, put it 4th took off and then it happened the death wobble, slowed down it went away, back in the yard checked a few thing out the best I could, no real play in the tie rods or anything else, steering wheel not to bad, maybe 2.5 inches side to side, toe in toe out haven't checked that yet, don't even know what it is supposed to be yet, tires are bad, lot of tread, but cracking real bad, that also could be causing the problem. Everything seems to be nice and straight, anything else I should look at.
Thanks

jack it up and see if you have any movement up and down when facing the wheel if so its the wheel bearings that's what my problem was but I agree with Geiger I've only had mine in fourth once years ago

About every 8N that I have owned had that problem. Until you can perform repairs limit 4th gear useage and wide open throttle. However, though I do not recommend it, I have put my right foot on the right steering link and kept pressure there while in 4th gear. That woiuld try to steer the tractor to the left. I kept pressure on the steering wheel to the right. No death wobble.

What I did is carry the right wrenches along with me then put it in 4th and open it up. Stop on occasion to give it more toe-in as needed.
When you get it adjusted so there's no more wobble then put it in overdrive and do it again. That is not a substitute for replacing tie rod ends, adjusting sector gears and making sure your wheel bearings are tight - of course.
But you can do that stuff later.
I can't imagine having a tractor and Not running the thing full tilt boogie on a regular basis.

I took mine to the service station about five miles for a fill up just because I can. Ran it wot there and back. I enjoyed it.
Elmo

I used to do it in reverse also. Plow or whatever was on the 3 point and pulling a trailer or wagon with the front bumper. We had fields more than a mile away by road. Wheeeeeeee!

You are making me think that tomorrow, at 32*, I need to take Nellybelle, '51 8N, for a ride and clean
out the exhaust/tail pipe. She has not been out for a couple of months. Funny, almost 66 years with me
at her controls, and she still likes to run!

Do you have the 19 x 4 front tires or the 16's?
Not that it really matters that much, just curious.
The toe in should be 1/4 less at the front then at the rear.
That's with everything tight and working as it should.

As someone else said, I would jack up the front end and see where
the play is coming from. Tie rods, sector gears, bearings, etc.

I have a '52 8N with a Sherman Combo I bought from John in Mich.
It has been through a "few changes" since then and will run 25+ MPH.
No death wobble at that speed, even on a dirt road. Not that it had
them when I bought it, I just didn't check it at that speed then.

Hi, Royse and all:
I have had my 9N for about 15 years, it has a Sherman overdrive. I have driven this tractor in high gear, overdrive with wide open throttle on our so-called "country blacktop" road. It never wobbled, but it will sure make me pay attention!! Just my 2 cents worth....

Dennis M. in W. Tenn.

Dennis, they tell me when I run mine at that speed I'm smiling.
I have to correct them and tell them it's just the wind blowing my jowls back. ;)

The early model non-adjustable gear box on my 48 8N causes some wobble on right side because of slop in sector gear. This is with Sherman in "high" road gear. Someday I hope to replace it with a good later adjustable steering that should cure problem.

(quoted from post at 14:37:46 01/01/19) I have had two 8n's for years and I don't think I have had either one in 4th gear!

I've had my 8N for over ten years and have never had it in fourth gear. The only gears I use are first and second.

(quoted from post at 00:09:46 01/02/19)
(quoted from post at 14:37:46 01/01/19) I have had two 8n's for years and I don't think I have had either one in 4th gear!

I've had my 8N for over ten years and have never had it in fourth gear. The only gears I use are first and second.
Ya'll must be OLD! LOL Happy New year! :lol:

(quoted from post at 21:15:26 01/01/19)
(quoted from post at 00:09:46 01/02/19)

Ya'll must be OLD! LOL Happy New year! :lol:

Yep, old and slow. :wink:

Since I got the MF202, I can put the hi/lo trans in low and go even slower ! A snail could beat that thing in low 1st gear.

RGR, when running it every few days be sure to run it for long enough under a load to get it up to 170 degrees or so, so that you can drive the combustion moisture out of it. As you know highway driving is the easiest on a car or truck, while short trips are severe service. It is of course the same for tractors.

MANY years ago Dad had a 2N that went through just a few "improvements" until we clocked it at 43 mph while hauling a load of hay bales! (My brother & I were a LOT younger then, & maybe not as bright as we should have been!) I think your problem would be solved w/an overdrive. Just hang on until you get over that "death wobble" speed!<)

You might be able to stuff a copper penny between the stabilizer bars and caps. Copper is pre-1980? I did that on the wife's machine and it straightened out nicely. Toe in/out is zero.

As a Product Assurance Rep for GM Hydra-Matic from 1984 to 1988, we used to randomly pull vehicles from
vehicle assembly lines around the country and do a GM standard road test. Often, part of the test
included a temperature gage reading from the transmission sump by removing the dip stick and inserting a
probe. Often, even after 25 miles of driving, doing various launch cycles from 1/4 throttle to wide open
throttle (WOT), the transmission may not reach a "normal" operating temperature of 180 degrees.

I have a 6 CYL. Funk, step up, and 14.9 tires that will run 40 mph. It has new tie rod ends. All other parts greased
and tight.

4th gear was introduced on the 8N as farmers wanted a faster road gear so they could get to and from their fields quicker. Steering boxes were perhaps the most neglected unit on these old Fords -if all was working, no need to muck with it. Once bushings, seals, and bearings wore out, they were like the Energizer Bunny and many farmers just kept on going. Here's a clue: No amount of Toe-In is going to correct your wobble in high gear. The steering box needs a complete rebuild and as John Smith once said, he would avoid ever doing an early 8N box again and just replace with a later one. New drag links, front spindle bearings and bushings, and new king pin would all be part of that project as well, IMHO.

Tim *PloughNman* Daley(MI)

(quoted from post at 19:21:15 01/03/19) "Here's a clue: No amount of Toe-In is going to correct your wobble in high gear."

Wanna bet?
ell,"........he did say "correct" , not "stop". :D

(quoted from post at 07:30:03 01/02/19) MANY years ago Dad had a 2N that went through just a few "improvements" until we clocked it at 43 mph while hauling a load of hay bales! (My brother & I were a LOT younger then, & maybe not as bright as we should have been!) I think your problem would be solved w/an overdrive. Just hang on until you get over that "death wobble" speed!<)

Lynn.

I know what you mean about "death wobble speed'.
My first car when I was 16 was a 1956 Meteor. My right front A-Frame arm that connects to the cross member under the rad, had ripped out of the cross member so i jacked it up and wired it up to the cross member with multiple coat hangers.

Well . . . at about 55 mph it would shake so bad it almost pulled the steering wheel out of my hands, but if I pushed it past that to 70 it smoothed right out. :D

I went on a tractor run 2 yrs ago with my 47 8n no Sherman, guy ahead of me said I was doing 14 mph full out I suppose that's normal,but my point is even at that speed I couldn't really enjoy the beautiful scenery. a tractor run shouldn't be a race. but I did enjoy it

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back