My dad's F-20 Farmall

Mel in KS

Bought back my dad's F-20 with starter and road gear. Been sitting in shed with rain cap for many years but engine turns. All complete but tires and rims are shot. I think the rims are 8x36 and tires 9 or 10x36. Is this correct and standard? Will need new tires and rims. Suggestions? I have moved back to eastern Kansas near Topeka. Thanks for any help.

There were a couple different sizes available. Order up the owner's manual, service manual, and parts manual. Look and verify that you have OEM rims, or, like many of them, were originally steel wheels, and cut down & welded rubber tire rims to the spokes.

Congrats in being able to find your dad's tractor. Enjoy the memories.

I have dad's parts manual, "instruction book" on the way from Binder Books. Thanks
Mel, that is great getting a tractor with roots in your family’s heritage. I to am a Kansas native displaced in Minnesota for the time being. I am going to connect with you through the “Private Message” feature, when you see a number on the “letter or mail” icon at the top of the page click there to open my message.

Mel, that is great getting a tractor with roots in your family’s heritage. I to am a Kansas native displaced in Minnesota for the time being. I am going to connect with you through the “Private Message” feature, when you see a number on the “letter or mail” icon at the top of the page click there to open my message.
Stauffer salvage at Mayetta can probably steer you in the right direction for rims.

The late'20
(38/39) had a cast wheel and a 10/11:00 tire on a split rim. Or there was a 28" spoked wheel as well. earlier tractors could have a 36" spoked wheel. Often times the steel wheel was cut off and a rubber tire rim was welded on. Any size could have been used.Fronts could be steel/cutoff;or a round spoke(early) or a cast(late) wheel. Those tractors are now almost 90 years old. So about anything would be acceptable.Dont be concerned about being factory perfect/correct.No one will care. Too many variables out there. Just enjoy your tractor.My '37 F20 has round spoke front and the later cast wheel with 12.4x36 rears.

The late'20
(38/39) had a cast wheel and a 10/11:00 tire on a split rim. Or there was a 28" spoked wheel as well. earlier tractors could have a 36" spoked wheel. Often times the steel wheel was cut off and a rubber tire rim was welded on. Any size could have been used.Fronts could be steel/cutoff;or a round spoke(early) or a cast(late) wheel. Those tractors are now almost 90 years old. So about anything would be acceptable.Dont be concerned about being factory perfect/correct.No one will care. Too many variables out there. Just enjoy your tractor.My '37 F20 has round spoke front and the later cast wheel with 12.4x36 rears.
Thanks, I will take photo of wheels and get existing tire size and explore replacement from there. They are cast spoked wheels. Outside edge diameter of rims measure about 40" and tires about 10'' tread width. Rims likely made up.

Will get my dad's F-20 hauled home in a week or two. Serial number FA 127300 shows it to be a 1931 Fairway I think. Eight lug 36" rims seem very hard to find. Looking at Farmall H rims and how to weld lugs on. Any pictures and/or suggestions would be helpful. Has electric start, belly pump, road gear, and lights. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1856.JPG
    IMG_1856.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1854.JPG
    IMG_1854.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1843.JPG
    IMG_1843.JPG
    4.6 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_1842.JPG
    IMG_1842.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 49
Mel, I have a pair of those exact same wheels with excellent condition 10x36 rims that I am willing to part with. I am about 115 miles north of Topeka.

The Farmall F20 was introduced in 1932. Your F20 was made in 1938.

Last edited:
Bought back my dad's F-20 with starter and road gear. Been sitting in shed with rain cap for many years but engine turns. All complete but tires and rims are shot. I think the rims are 8x36 and tires 9 or 10x36. Is this correct and standard? Will need new tires and rims. Suggestions? I have moved back to eastern Kansas near Topeka. Thanks for any help.
These guys are not far from you. I have bought some stuff from them and have not had any problems.

Attachments

• J P Tractor LLC.jpeg
    J P Tractor LLC.jpeg
    367.8 KB · Views: 27
Will get my dad's F-20 hauled home in a week or two. Serial number FA 127300 shows it to be a 1931 Fairway I think. Eight lug 36" rims seem very hard to find. Looking at Farmall H rims and how to weld lugs on. Any pictures and/or suggestions would be helpful. Has electric start, belly pump, road gear, and lights. Thanks.
A 38 'drop center' rim will fit over the cast wheel nicely. Easy to cut some mounting 'lugs' from 3/8 or 1/2" flat steel. Drill a hole and weld to rim.Bolt the lugs to the wheel first to get them lined up and tack into place. Them you can remove rim and weld solid.

NE Kansas here, NE of Atchison. Now in NE Okla. Got tired of the wintertime lol. I had to pay $50 yo get a hydro tank for one of mine. It would lift a 7ft IHC mower outer shoe around a foot. It mounted underneath the center joints/universal. I dont remember where the lever was to raise or lower it. Heck, u got all the amenities that a 39 H has.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back