My new John Deere ABG 400 Culti. and 290 Planter (Picts)

Beatles65

These are my newest toys that have been added to my collection of Tractors and Implements.

The first is a John Deere ABG 400 Cultivator and it is in good shape and will look great on the front of my 1948 John Deere A. It looks complete and I even have extra shanks and the Shields.

The second is a John Deere 290 2 Row Planter that is mostly there. It is missing the seed boxes in the pictures but I know where I can get the original ones that go to this planter. I also have the drop down markers.
I purchased these implements from a scrapper who was going to cut them up and haul them in.
The cultivator was $170 and the Planter was $75 and I also purchased 7 shanks for $4 a piece.

When I went down to look at these implements I noticed the shanks in his truck ready to be taken in. So I saved those too.

Total was $270 for everything but I worked a deal with him on a trade for 2 junked 1982 Datsun trucks for $120. So in the end I payed him $150. He even delivered the implements so that saved me another $50 in the added expense of going to get them.

At the end of it all I have made a new friend in the scrapping business as he said that all the old John Deere tractors and implements he gets he will hold them for me and let me purchase them for my collection if I want them. This guy does a lot of farm clean-ups so he handles a lot of old iron. I think its pretty cool that he is willing to let me have first chance at buying the stuff he gets at scrap iron price.

Enjoy the pictures!
From Nebraska,
Andrew Kean.

Tractors
1942 John Deere B
1945 John Deere B w/ Big Six Loader
1951 John Deere B
1948 John Deere A
1948 Farmall C w/ 2C32 Power Loader

Implements
John Deere #44 Plow
John Deere #594 Hay rake
John Deere #5 Sickle Bar Mower
John Deere #5 Sickle Bar Mower
John Deere #8 Sickle Bar Mower
John Deere ABG 200 Cultivator
John Deere ABG 200 Cultivator
John Deere ABG 400 Cultivator
John Deere 290 2 Row Planter
John Deere 1250 6 Row Planter
Ford 908 Bushog
a28951.jpg

a28952.jpg

a28953.jpg

a28954.jpg

If my memory is correct, that is a model 40 cultivator since it has down pressure springs. The 400 simpy used chains to raise each row and had no down pressure.I used a 400 for a while.

I am sorry but for now I want to keep the setup and restore the planter. I guess they are hard to come by? Best of luck to you in your search!
From Nebraska,
Andrew Kean.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I was wrong when I said that it is an ABG 400 as it is in fact a Model 40 Cultivator.
Now I must keep looking for an ABG 400.
I am still very happy as there cant be too many of these left and now this gives me an excuse to go and buy the a tractor that this would mount on. HAHAHA!!!
Does anybody know if this would mount on my 1948 John Deere A?
Thanks for everything!
From Nebraska,
Andrew Kean

Any of the front mount for the 2 cylinder Waterloo except for the H can be mounted on any of the tractors. You may depending on the frame width if a quick tatch you may need different cross pieces and different height mounts and different lengths frame mounts but those will interchange with all the cultivators. I had the ABG 400 on a 51 A, a ABG 200 on the 49 B and 46 B and at last had I believe a T4 Cultivator gone) on that 49 B set for 30" rows. and on the ABG series the fenders did not mount to the gang but to the frame bar that also holds the gangs.

The model 40 is a lot better cultivator than a 400. If the soil is hard, the 400 tends to slide on top and not enter the soil. Not the case with a 40. It will plow.

Beatles,
I thought you might like to see a couple of Indiana 290s that are still “Works in Process” as far as restoration goes. Both are getting close to being ready for paint.
The picture taken in April of 2010 is my 290. I was planting sweet corn. As you can see, I haven’t yet found the metal fertilizer tubes.
The picture taken in early May of ’09 is of my brother’s 290. He was planting a 2 ½ acres of field corn. His fertilizer attachment is in working order.

Good luck with your projects!

Art
a29029.jpg

a29030.jpg

Thanks for the pictures, your planters look great and so does that tractor! I hope to get my planter in good enough shape so I can use it to plant some sweetcorn and also so I can take it to shows. Then when I find the time I would like to restore it.
Thanks again!
From Nebraska,
Andrew Kean

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back